Yet another 'which router' question.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaoticbob

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked a million times before, but a search on this site hasn't yet answered my specific question. I'm looking to buy a router for permanent mounting in a table (which I haven't er.. quite made yet, but that's another topic...). I'm looking at the Triton offerings which attract me because they have the table-top winding thing, which seems to me to be almost essential. My specific question is this - would I be OK with the 1400W model, given I might want to use a 70mm diameter panel-raising cutter, or do I really need 2kW for that? In hardwood, but not sure exactly what at the mo.

Regards, Robin.

To be honest for a table mounted Router the best solution will always be to get the biggest most powerful router that you can.

Its easy to do small delicate jobs with a large router but a Royal Pain in the behind to try and use larger cutters with an underpowered Router

I've had a Triton 1400w for a good number of years. I don't have 70mm panel-raiser but I do have other very large cutters and not had any problems with insufficient power. But, as RogerBoyle says, it's really the bigger the better in a table.

I have the Trend T10 mounted in the router table. That also has the facility to wind from above albeit through a hole drilled in the insert.

I got the triton 2400w and it's a beast of a router for the money , only downfall is that the guide bushings don't come as standard , think there around £75 but you get a big variety of sizes .
Was a bit disappointed tbh as my other 1/2 router was broke and ready for the bin .
So I decided to have the triton not just for the router table but also for when I'm fittings kitchens .
Kitchen to fit next weekend so that £100 off the price before I start including worktop cutter

Thanks for replies. Seems that concensus is bigger= better for a dedicated table mounted machine, so I shall go with the 2kW model, looks like there's only 30 quid difference in price, so ships and ha'p'worths of tar I guess. Had a look at the Trend, but quite a big price jump - I imagine the Triton will be good for what I want to do (DIY house renovation stuff, so it's not going to have heavy use).
Thanks again for the advice, Robin.

Good advice. I had a small cheap underpowered router in my table and it didn't work - it struggled and laboured its way through jobs. So I upgraded to a larger router and what a difference. Wish I'd done that years ago.

Jonny

Thanks for the pointer to the Makita at Costco Damo, seems like a bargain at 250, Screwfix want 380 for what looks like the same thing. No mention of above-table height adjustment though - having struggled adjusting height with a standard plunge router in a lash-up table before, I really want this feature. Because no-one has said otherwise, i assume it works OK - if so it seems a better solution than a raiser device, which is expensive to buy or time-consuming to make.
Robin.

MartinCox":j5nj5nx8 said:
I have the Trend T10 mounted in the router table. That also has the facility to wind from above albeit through a hole drilled in the insert.

That's the T11 isn't it ? or is it a modified T10 (Maybe a T10 with a base from a T11 ?)

Latest posts

Back