Yet another shed question.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grit_monkey

Reaction score
Firstly, I'm new to the site so let me take this chance to say hello to everyone.

I'm wanting to build a secure 10'x8' shed for all my tools, and to use as a small workshop. I was wanting to make it modular, ie 6 panels that I can disassemble and erect elsewhere if we move house (we're renting at the moment)

My idea is that I would use 3x2cls on edge for the full height, giving a wall thickness of just under 2". I want to drill holes vertically every 16" and clamp the wall together with threaded bar, using a steel flat bar along the length of the top and bottom to prevent the timber expanding so much that if washers were used they would pull in.

My question is, would this be a possible method or would the movement of the timber be too much for such a method?

Ps, I'm not bothered about the weight, I have access to an hiab come moving home time.

Pps, this method is cheaper for me than if I were to use a more traditional frame/panel method of construction.

Many thanks in advance for any replies.

Thanks for the reply.

I think I was more bothered about the panel as a whole "cupping".

As to leaving it where it is when we move, it will be the shed as a whole that will be lifted onto the truck with the hiab (we move 40' cabins regularly!) complete with contents. :D

You will get some cupping as one side will be dry and the other side will be in a wet and dry then wet again cycle
It will cost a fortune to do it this way and you may be better just buying one from B&Q/Wickes etc etc

I had thought about a bit of box section steel on the inside, the ends will form a finger joint type affair so no screws will be needed to fix the walls together. It certainly won't cost too much given that I still have trade accounts at various timber yards and builders merchants ( also get family discount at one merchants due to father in law working there), The company I work for deliver for a lot of steel stockholders and engineers, and my brother is an electrician(this is where the threaded bar will come from).

The complete build will certainly be far cheaper than a bought shed, estimated cost of complete build is approx £250 (or there abouts)

Back