YAWWITQ

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vikash

Established Member
Reaction score
Yet Another What Wood Is This Question

Some friends have recently bought a mansion and were chucking a load of 2 inch thick wood into the skip. It's being torn out from a bathroom and there's a fair bit of it.

I don't know what it is but I was going to grab it all. Would appreciate if someone could tell me what it is.

V

Attachments

• wood-3347.jpg
    wood-3347.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 389
Utile, if the end grain has pronounced alternate stripes, as it seems.

Very effective for chequer patterns on the end grain, if you alternate the blocks for direction.

And GRAB it! It's a great mahogany sub and easy to work
HTH
John :D

just to throw a spanner in the works, I would say its almost definatly Sapele. looks pretty much identicle to the sapele i was planing up last weekend.

Regards

Andy

It certainly isn't Sapele ,it looks like either Teak ,Afromosia,possible Iroko . I'd edge my bets and say Teak

I took some more pics. Maybe this will help identify it?

Attachments

• wood-3392.jpg
    wood-3392.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 149
  • wood-3393.jpg
    wood-3393.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 149
  • wood-3394.jpg
    wood-3394.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 149
  • wood-3397.jpg
    wood-3397.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 149
  • wood-3400.jpg
    wood-3400.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 149
  • wood-3401.jpg
    wood-3401.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 149
Judging by the clearer pics it looks very much like Iroko ,yet another piece looks like Afromosia or teak ! Ha ha . If you get a good cough when cutting it then Iroko is the one . Iroko on second glance .

could be teak - looks rather like some that I am putting into the bathroom at the moment but I'm a total amateur at wood ID!

Well whatever it is, i'm sure we can all agree that it hardwood, and worth saving.

Good find that man

Andy

Creampuff":31g767w2 said:
Well whatever it is, i'm sure we can all agree that it hardwood, and worth saving.

Good find that man

Andy

Absolutely! And if there is too much for you, I am just around the corner! :wink: :lol:

It's reassuringly difficult to identify wood: glad I'm not the only one who gets puzzled. I'll leave the jury to continue its deliberations! :|

Back