Xmas Fun Day at our wood-turning club

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodchips2

Established Member
Reaction score
Yesterday was our Xmas Fund Day for members of our woodturning club in Bedford http://www.bedfordsaw.co.uk/pages/woodturning_121.htm and a good day was had by one and all.

The day started with a demonstration from Gary Rance who turned a lidded pot in Boxwood in a remarkably short time.

DSCN0749.jpg

DSCN0751.jpg

Then comes the members turn and all are encouraged to turn a mystery item to see who holds the turning trophy for the year. If you are willing to show your skills (or lack of them) to the rest of the membership you are entered into the prize draw and everybody gets a prize. There were half a dozen mystery items in the bag and the chosen piece to turn was a goblet. The square blank is mounted in the chuck and you have a maximum of 10 minutes to turn out your masterpiece. No sanding is allowed.

There was a little reluctance to be the first two participants but these two members bit the bullet.

DSCN0753.jpg

Halfway through we stopped for a lovely buffet lunch provided by the Rayner family who themselves are keen turners as well as running the shop and club.

Stuart King was one of the participants and in view of his expertise it was resolved he should turn with a shovel to give the rest of us a chance.

DSCN0756.jpg

The winning goblet was by Mark who has won the trophy previously. Although the judges commented it could have been a wineglass it was the best bit of turning on the day and all completed within 10 minutes.

DSCN0774cropped.jpg

The day closes with the prize draw and presentation of the trophy to Mark.

It is a very friendly club and we meet every Saturday morning with two resident professional turners to demonstrate and advise or you can have a go yourself. Once a month we have a visiting demonstrator on a Saturday and that is an all day affair. If you are new to turning or just want to meet fellow enthusiasts then I can thoroughly recommend joining a club like ours.

Regards Keith

Sounds like a good time was had by all, I think I'll suggest something like that to my club.
Happy Christmas,
Mike :ho2

Cheers Mike & George :ho2

It was good fun although it is surprising how nervous everyone gets about turning in front of other members doing things that come second nature in their shed or workshop. Makes one appreciate what demonstrators go through in their early years!

Regards Keith

Back