Would you...?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevel

Established Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of a new plane purchase. At the moment I have a Clifton No5, a LN medium shoulder plane and a LV low angle block plane. Would you: a) buy a 38° blade for the LA block, b) buy a normal angle block plane from Matthew at Workshop heaven or c) something else entirely (like a No 3)?
I also intend to buy a No6 from Matthew at some point.

Any help with this dilemma much appreciated.

Steve

First off, what do you make?

You don't seem to have a smoother - though I presume you use the Clifton for that? Perhaps a #4?

At the moment I am making furniture for the house, and some joinery. I generally use european oak and yes I use the Clifton as a smoother. I thought the block would work as a smoother for small areas which is why I considered a No 3

Steve

Adding the knob and rear tote extras to a LV low angle block makes a nifty little #3-a-like bevel-up smoother, fwiw.

Hello,

A no. 3 is too small to being useful, more suited to children. Buy a mitre plane instead, that could be used as a smoother, and to shoot joinery; mitres, butt ends etc.

By,

János

Thanks for the replies, Alf, would you use a 38° blade in conjunction with the tote or keep the exisitng blade?

Janos, thanks, I egree that a motre plane could be a good choice but I'm trying not to spend too much and a mitre plane will be alot more than either a new blade for the LV block or a new block/smoother from workshop heaven.

Steve

Steve, I use the 38°. LV's destructions mention something about it being wise to use a higher bevel angle when using the tote/knob anyway, iirc.

I use a Clifton #3 regularly, second only to the #5 1/2. I find the #3 to be an excellent size for cleaning up smallish furniture pieces, and personally would much prefer to have a plane dedicated to this job as opposed to having to change the iron and attach the tote and knob on your block plane every time you needed it. Using the block as a smoother will always feel like you're making a compromise.

So the question is, do you go for the Clifton #3 or the Quangsheng #3?

Ironically I find recently I'm seldom using a block plane for many obvious block plane tasks, and use a #3 instead. I have no idea where that leaves us, mind you, but for completeness of conflicting opinion, I offer a twofer. :lol:

Back