Would you prefer to pay a forum sub....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you prefer to pay a forum sub?

• Yes - if the price was reasonable

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - I'm quite happy to have my time wasted by ads

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The ads haven't bothered me in the slightest although I sometimes notice them.

There's been no comment from Charley on this one so is he of a mind to change things? - probably not. However, if you do read this Charley how about putting a link somewhere prominent on the site for members and visitors to make a donation to the running costs - purely voluntary. I think you might be surprised at the outcome.

regards

Brian

Quote "...This is going to happen because of the common bond and interest that prevails from this 'ere free forum, and wouldn't have happened if it was a 'pay for' site, cause as a typical tight Jock... I'd have gone elsewhere to 'play'..."

I'm NOT a Jock, but I admit, I am a mean tightwad... :lol:

I've been on several sites (all above board), where they start off free, then ask for money. I've been to pages where you can't get on (ALSO legit), where you are expected to pay at registration. Sites where you are bombarded with ads to join up for a monthly email newsletter, "get this ad-in" but pay through the nose...

Dropped the pages like hot cakes, after all, why spend money on wasting your time, when you could be out in the workshop doing same? :wink:

Unfortunately, there are some members (I'm one at least) on here that wouldn't be able to justify spending money on a website membership, when there are bills to pay, kids to feed... (anyone else hear the violins?)

No offence meant, love the site, getting great info / ideas for projects / contacts etc, but would have to drop out if it was "pay per view" internet.

I've been thinking.............................

I have the likes of Axminster etc in my favourites & usually access them via there.

But am I right that if I click on the axminster logo from here that generates income for Charlie ??

If yes I need to change my habits

Maybe I'm not the only one :-k

The photography site I moderate on has just installed skimlinks

http://www.skimlinks.com/

Anytime someone posts a link (say to Axminster for UKW) it automatically converts it to an affiliate link when the user clicks - so the user buys as usual and the forum get a commission for sending them there. No popups or anything - it is all pretty transparent.

Personally I'd close and reopen the browser and go via Quidco and get the commission myself ;)

Probably not Jim. You normally actually have to buy something. Tho actually, I think those top right ads are not link monitored. Just space rented as in traditional media.

I've just re-read the title, I misread it at first as being would I be 'prepared' to pay a forum sub. On that basis, yes I would. Would I prefer to pay a sub, then of course not! :wink:

And again, I think it's more down to people's personal computer setups as I've had no problem at all with any slowdown, and I don't have any pop up blockers installed...

TrimTheKing":of31cgke said:
And again, I think it's more down to people's personal computer setups as I've had no problem at all with any slowdown, and I don't have any pop up blockers installed...

Yep, all Roger has to do is to get a nice shiny PC to replace his Mac and then he'll have no problems :lol:

Cheers,
Neil

Neil":2juylgeg said:
TrimTheKing":2juylgeg said:

Yep, all Roger has to do is to get a nice shiny PC to replace his Mac and then he'll have no problems :lol:

Cheers,
Neil

:D :D But the trouble is, PCs are like Chinese meals. You buy one and then a few months later you have to go and buy another one :wink:

RogerS":294wodnv said:
Neil":294wodnv said:
TrimTheKing":294wodnv said:

Cheers,
Neil

:D :D But the trouble is, PCs are like Chinese meals. You buy one and then a few months later you have to go and buy another one :wink:
Ah, not so Grasshopper. I build my own, current model is 4 years old and still runs a lovely clean XP build as fast as I need it to.

It's all about how you treat it :D

RogerS":1bfjg0la said:
Neil":1bfjg0la said:
TrimTheKing":1bfjg0la said:

Cheers,
Neil

Ah, not so grasshopper, the company supplies a new one every 2yrs :lol:

TrimTheKing":syjttp3u said:
Ah, not so Grasshopper. I build my own, current model is 4 years old and still runs a lovely clean XP build as fast as I need it to.
It's all about how you treat it :D
Likewise with with the ones I play with at home, 3 x XP, 1 x 98se, non newer than 4 yrs, all capable of mail and forum use, (the best is 3gig proc) a little slower than state of the art for Video processing but working fine.

Because my usual machine here is running Win7 at the moment I'm currently using a 6+ yr old box. which is more than fast enough for web use including authoring to the latest XHTML standards running Vista.

vista2.jpg

As Trim says, the computer is a tool, how you treat it and what you do with it is far more important than how shiny it is.

If I were you Chas, I'd Hurry up and activate your windows licence before someone stumbles acress this thread and uses your product ID code to activate their illegal copy :lol: :lol:
(Obviously I mean someone from outside of the UK workshop forum!)

This is one of the few forums where I can honestly say I've never had a problem with advertisements so personally I don't think I'd want to pay a sub. I might do so if there were other benefits 'tho.

On another forum i frequent/moderate, we have introduced a donation scheme.
It is completely up to the member whether they donate, but in return for a donation, (iirc, its about £10) it becomes advert free, larger avatar allowed, more PM storage space, allows you to customise your profile page...
We also try to encourage people to make a donation if they have sucesfully saved mases of money thanks to the forum, or perhaps if they have sold a few bits of equiptment via the forum, as there is no fee for selling.

+steve+":3neim5lq said:
If I were you Chas, I'd Hurry up and activate your windows licence before someone stumbles acress this thread and uses your product ID code to activate their illegal copy :lol: :lol:
(Obviously I mean someone from outside of the UK workshop forum!)
Already activated! but I've removed the pic temp to remove the temptation to try. Product ID code and Licence No. are somewhat different as far as registration is concerned.

I'm fortunate enough to be staying in a household with MSDN authority so don't need to cheat myself, as many machines here are being used in software evaluation mode.

Latest posts

Back