Would you guys be interested?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

=Adam=

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am currently on a summer break from University and I am looking for areas where I could make some extra income with my spare time.

I was wondering if anyone on this forum would be interested in 12mm timber plugs? I have all of the necessary equipment to start doing batches of them, but is this something that you guys would consider buying?

Please note, I am not trying to sell them on this site, I will be doing it all properly, most likely through eBay.

I was thinking of doing a pack of say 50 for £5.00?

Also are there any timbers that would have a higher demand?

I have plenty of Sapele, Oak, Ash and Iroko, but is there demand for Beech, Cherry or any others?

Thanks

Adam,

Good luck to you. There are a few threads on here in terms of how could i make a bit of extra money.

I dont want to rain on your parade, but http://www.plugitdowel.co.uk/wood-produ ... -deck-plug is selling what I believe that you are contemplating at £3.65 per 50. Take from that ebay costs, time and timber I think you will be scratching around to make any money at all, let alone profit. That is from people that buy them- many people will just make a batch themselves out of perfectly matching timber.

Have you thought of making some planters, or something really straightforward that are quick to make and easy to sell?

Hi Marcos, thanks for the link!

I hadn't seen them before!

Ideally I am looking for something that is going to be quick to turn around, I am not looking for huge margins, just some extra money to pay for Uni haha!

I like the idea of planters, just not sure what the market is like for them.

Adam, I knew a bloke that sold benches, planters, all manner of basic wood based items in our area - he couldn't (and as far as I know, still cant) make enough of them. He either sold via Facebook or the usual markets via a short term stall lease. His biggest problem was creating enough stock.

Edit, by area I mean South West Wales.

Hi

There's a guy up here who attends the weekly boot sale with planters, nest boxes and other sundry garden items made from recycled pallets - he seems to do very well.

Regards Mick

Adam

+1 for planters, they are easy to make and easy to sell (if the price is right), I've made several different sizes and types, long narrow ones for small pots of different herbs, large square ones for either side of the front door for box shrubs, large square ones with a trellis back for climbers, the variations are up to you and your imagination.

If you can use recycled wood (pallets) even better, there free and people like the idea of recycling.

Baldhead

Thanks for the replies guys! Has anyone got any pics of planters so that I can get an idea of what is involved?

My ideal situation would be to make to order, so that I know what I do will be sold haha. I am liking the ideas though guys!

Go on then ........... how much for one oak plug, no sod it I'll go the whole hog and take a spare as well.

:evil: :roll: :twisted: just get the icons in before others do, I'll even call myself a tw!t as well.

Adam,

Also have alook at Appleby Woodturnings. They are major suppliers of plugs like that, and they have a member on here.

I'm one of many who like to make their own from offcuts. That way you can get a really good match if you're careful.

I'm not saying don't, just do a bit of market research:

- market size (and what market share you can realistically aim for),
- competitor offerings,
- pricing against competitors,
- costs,
- shipping,
- promotion (go-to-market plan).

You might find a niche, for example the plugs for pocket hole joinery in certain woods (I'm not suggesting this, just trying to think of possibilities), but you might find the numbers don't work out. If they don't, that is valuable in itself, as you haven't wasted a lot of time making a loss.

Note: it's tempting to price low to start with (known as "penetration pricing"), but that is fraught. Better to go for a high quality product at a good price. You can always drop the price without complaints, but going the other way is harder! Also volume usually means a drop in unit cost, you can pass this on without dropping quality.

E.

why not make a planter- full size or half size. Go door to door, go around a local independent garden centre, offer some to a local pub (swap for drink if necessary). That way you can take orders, make to custom sizes and hopefully batch produce. Tell people that you will deliver them in a weeks time. You could even make a point of telling people that you are doing it on your uni summer break to fund your studies.

marcros":3t1lomb1 said:
why not make a planter- full size or half size. Go door to door, go around a local independent garden centre, offer some to a local pub (swap for drink if necessary). That way you can take orders, make to custom sizes and hopefully batch produce. Tell people that you will deliver them in a weeks time. You could even make a point of telling people that you are doing it on your uni summer break to fund your studies.

+1 to that. But just don't do it in my corner of Bristol :wink:

Eric The Viking":3kxlmwsh said:
=Adam=":3kxlmwsh said:
Any idea on prices for the planters too?

This is getting silly.

DO SOME RESEARCH... YOURSELF!

Prices or costs?

A rough idea of prices (to sell at) could be found by a bit of quick Googling. However, costs (to make them) may require experience which Adam possibly hasn't got but some on here might.

Gosh guys, thanks for stamping on my interest in earning some extra money!

I came on here asking for some help and some advice as I have very limited experience with regards to manufacturing for profit; I have always done woodwork for the pure enjoyment, so I apologise for asking for help! The reason I was asking was that I thought that you guys may be able to offer a little bit of first hand advice from your experience selling, I have looked on eBay and I can see what things are selling for, but I wanted to find out whether you are able to sell them in person for more, less or the same as eBay; I just see no validation in looking on eBay at prices as they always appear to be unrealistic!

Adam

If you ask for advise you get it, if you don't like it that's your problem, they have pointed out failings in your plan and suggested a better product line for you.
I can't see any more they could have done.

Pete

Back