Workshop time

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs C

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if it is possible to ‘hire’ workshop time (tablesaw, p/t etc) in chunks of say half a day and if so what the going rate is?

Thanks

I think there may be such facilities, but they will likely be few and far between.
Perhaps if you could let us know your approximate location?

do you have a "men shed" project in your area? the one local to me have absolutely everything. I've not been myself but it's better than hiring something for a fee

google for local manshed (as said above) or maker space, you can't hire the entire think but you can get access to machines.

obviously they all differ and aren't all equipped with what you are after (some are just CAM for instance).

Mrs C":1zv0tdlb said:
Does anyone know if it is possible to ‘hire’ workshop time (tablesaw, p/t etc) in chunks of say half a day and if so what the going rate is?
Sounds like an H&S nightmare. The person hiring to you would need to verify your competence to use such machines, not easily done, and insure himself against you suing him in the event of you having an accident. Getting you to sign a disclaimer would most likely be legally worthless, such a scheme is a non-starter IMO.

pcb1962":2k8ayxhh said:
Mrs C":2k8ayxhh said:
Sounds like an H&S nightmare. The person hiring to you would need to verify your competence to use such machines, not easily done, and insure himself against you suing him in the event of you having an accident. Getting you to sign a disclaimer would most likely be legally worthless, such a scheme is a non-starter IMO.

My thoughts exactly! I was wondering how you would even begin to try and administer that.

Well it appears that there are such places.

http://hirewoodworkspace.co.uk

As regards the concerns on H&S, what does a normal hire shop do? The only thing you don't seem to be able to hire from them is an actual workshop.

its not a H&S nightmare at all. its effectively done by hire shops, maker spaces, man sheds etc.
what it can be is an insurance issue. not insurmountable at all, but adds to the cost.

whiskywill":ziuw9fng said:
Hudson1984":ziuw9fng said:
do you have a "men shed" project in your area?

Would "Mrs" C be allowed in a MensShed?

As I understand the ladies are welcome.

As I believe the gents are in the WI :-s

Mrs C":1jajv24o said:
I've seen one or two professionals on here offering workshop time, space and/or machinery - Usually at the weekend, with their supervision, of course.

There's a nice, friendly chap near-ish to me, who has simply quoted "beer" as the going rate!! :wink:

Whereabouts are you?

Geoff_S":36v3nul6 said:

As regards the concerns on H&S, what does a normal hire shop do? The only thing you don't seem to be able to hire from them is an actual workshop.

I'm amazed how cheap that place is, I've paid more to hire a cement mixer.
I would have thought that if you are on their premises they have more responsibility for your safety than if you take the tool away and use it elsewhere.

3. Health and Safety
i) You will be asked to complete a Risk Assessment Form and confirm your knowledge and ability to use the machinery and equipment involved; this will be part of the handing over process.
ii) You will be asked to confirm you will operate within health and safety guide lines and will wear the relevant protective clothing / equipment i.e. dust masks, goggles, ear defenders (which can be provided) and work boots as required within the machine shop.

4. Insurance
i) We strongly recommend you have Public Liability and Personal Accident Insurance for your own protection.

pcb1962":2frr6ht0 said:
Geoff_S":2frr6ht0 said:

I'm amazed how cheap that place is, I've paid more to hire a cement mixer.
I would have thought that if you are on their premises they have more responsibility for your safety than if you take the tool away and use it elsewhere.

3. Health and Safety
i) You will be asked to complete a Risk Assessment Form and confirm your knowledge and ability to use the machinery and equipment involved; this will be part of the handing over process.
ii) You will be asked to confirm you will operate within health and safety guide lines and will wear the relevant protective clothing / equipment i.e. dust masks, goggles, ear defenders (which can be provided) and work boots as required within the machine shop.

4. Insurance
i) We strongly recommend you have Public Liability and Personal Accident Insurance for your own protection.

Yes they do have more responsibility for you on their premises. But thats mostly to do with the premises. ie fire regulations electrical safety etc.

You arent their employee, so their duty of care to you is different as a customer who willingly and knowingly enters into a commercial contract. An employee is put to work by the company and ALL elements of their safety including process design and training, are the company's responsibility. As a customer they risk assess, take necessary steps to manage that risk (check competency, provide supervision perhaps, provide PPE) and away you go. If you decide to lie, for example on your familiarity/training with the tool then that's on you, not the workshop owner (an employer would need to demonstrate and maintain evidence of your training, the onus is on them).

there is more detail here ... http://hirewoodworkspace.co.uk/hire-woo ... itions.cfm
and here ... http://hirewoodworkspace.co.uk/health-a ... hinery.cfm

It looks pretty well thought out and simple to me...

Again, there is a difference between a safety risk and an insurance exposure.

You might argue the workshop owner potentially has a greater risk of someone vandalising, stealing or burning the place down.

Latest posts

Back