Workshop space..... How low can you go?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheshirechappie":2t2sfmws said:
Working handtools only (or hand and hand-held power tools only) may not be everybody's first choice, but it doesn't half free up space. All you need is a bench, a pair of saw-horses, storage for tools (toolchest, cupboard, tool-wall) a rack for clamps and a cupboard for glues, screws and sundries. In a single garage, that would leave just about enough space for a project to stand, with a bit of breathing space around it. You do have to be ruthless with 'stuff' though, otherwise it very quickly dominates a small space.

You took the words right out of my mouth! I work in a 16' x 10' shed, and about a third of that is dedicated to metal bashing and general DIY / electrical / plumbing / etc stuff.

A generation or so ago space was cheap and stuff was dear. Now stuff is cheap and space is dear. Consequently lots of woodworkers today cram small workshops full of inaccurate chinese machines and then wonder why they're neither productive nor happy.

Yes, I'm sure people have made boats and billiard tables in a garden shed on a panel saw; but that's not a good plan for most woodworkers. Better to scale your woodworking ambitions to the space you've got and get a good bench, a bandsaw and a portable site thicknesser to handle the drudgery end of woodworking, a couple of versatile power tools like a router and a drill plus a collection of decent hand tools. And then concentrate on actually making modestly sized projects to the very best of your abilities while enjoying having the room to swing a cat (or glue up a project efficiently and well).

I make door and windows part time is a single car garage that is only 2,9 by 5,5 metres inside plus a small hay barn that is 4x4 metres and used for storing wood and parts plus I occasoinally borrow daddy's garage for assembly jobs.
I do not recommend this to anyone and I am planning for a bigger shop in the future....... but I have to save up money and sawn timber a few more years before I can start to build.

I worked in a single garage for 18mths. Its impossible unless you have some overflow space to store stuff in ie completed items, items under cramps etc and materials. A single garage and thats it - very tight unless you only make jewllery boxes :)

I've found the main bugbear about only one work space is when you do finishing work and need to make sure it's protected from dust until dry. It puts the brake on continuing to work on a new project. I'm lucky enough to now have a seperate shed for this.

If you need to machine long pieces of timber, lining up machines with windows (or even making special hatches in the wall to allow the timber out) can solve a lot of problems in a small space. Provided it's not tipping it down with rain :(

Cheshirechappie":1fdv06tt said:
One thing with a smaller space is that it forces you to think very carefully about what you want to do. If you intend to build furniture, you do need some empty space to stand the growing carcase, and have some space left over to actually stand up in. That may limit the amount of machinery you can accommodate.

Working handtools only (or hand and hand-held power tools only) may not be everybody's first choice, but it doesn't half free up space. All you need is a bench, a pair of saw-horses, storage for tools (toolchest, cupboard, tool-wall) a rack for clamps and a cupboard for glues, screws and sundries. In a single garage, that would leave just about enough space for a project to stand, with a bit of breathing space around it. You do have to be ruthless with 'stuff' though, otherwise it very quickly dominates a small space.

Machinery might even be more bother than it would be worth in such a space. Even small machines need dust extraction, which is more space gone (and more expense and maintenance), plus infeed and outfeed space. Once you'd got a bandsaw, planer-thicknesser and SCMS in, with dust extraction, there'd be no room left to stand a job in, unless you confine yourself to small work like jewellery boxes.

I know it's entirely a matter of personal choice, and I'm certainly not suggesting that machine use in a single garage is impossible, but free space is something very few people consider when planning a workshop; when you don't have any, you certainly learn it's value!

Excellent advice! I started out trying to be like Caeser's wife (all things to all men). Decide what your interests are and arrange your shop/tools to suit.

benjimano":3ne6izqi said:
Thanks for all the info, some great ideas.

Cutting42.... That layout is just what I may need. A very good post. Thank you.

You are welcome, glad you liked it.

Back