Workshop extension

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Adam,

Nah, wasn't kidding, just thinking along the secondary
filter route. As you say though, not really feasible with
the intermittent use.

TX

Right, I'm just about fully installed. I even finished the jobs like adding insulation to the door I never quite got round to last time.

The internal wall got ripped out, after I'd secured the door in it's new position. Is it really worth it for that small amount of floor space? Oh yes. For me at least.

large.jpg

I've had these goodies sitting around since the Axminster auction. (well at my parents house - no space in mine - too full of wood :?

large.jpg

Previously the saw used to sit flush against a wall - this meant I had very limited ability to rip - unless I moved the saw - and with the arrival of the P/T that became just about impossible. I can now use the space by the door to rip much longer lengths :D Note all the lovely Ash and Walnut sitting on the P/T. I'm hoping to make some progress on that next week.

large.jpg

large.jpg

One thing I picked up visiting Normans workshop - is that nearly all his gear is on wheels and by "spinning" things around, you only need one "working space" - I'm going to put a small cabinet here, and mount various bits of machines on it - and then spin it round when I need them.

large.jpg

Something I picked up by visiting Aragorns workshop is I needed more light. So I'm now up to 8 strip lights in an 8 x 13 workshop. I don't however have any natural light - so these are very much required. It really makes a difference.

large.jpg

Nice one Adam!
Looking good-how about a 1st floor extension to double up on space??
O.k., maybe not-well done though!
cheers
Philly :D

Adam,

Do you go outside to switch on your extractor or did you bring a switch inside. I'm thinking of putting my Axminster one outside which has a NVR making it slightly awkward to rewire. My concern is that if I have to do that everytime, I'll either end up leaving it running too long or worse not be bothered to turn it on for small things! I'm assuming the Sheppach one is also NVR operated?

Your changes look like they've made a big difference.

Cheers

Tim

tim":3nvm2hmk said:
Adam,

Do you go outside to switch on your extractor or did you bring a switch inside. I'm thinking of putting my Axminster one outside which has a NVR making it slightly awkward to rewire. My concern is that if I have to do that everytime, I'll either end up leaving it running too long or worse not be bothered to turn it on for small things! I'm assuming the Sheppach one is also NVR operated?

Your changes look like they've made a big difference.

Cheers

Tim

My extractor is run from a normal 13amp plug. It only draws a couple of amps after swtich on. I just switch it on and off using a normal switch at the plug - and the switch on the machine is left permanently on. That way there is no reason to go outside - except to change the bag. Someone here suggested using a ceiling switch with a pull cord - that's something I'm going to do soon - as the plug is very inconvenient in it's current location.

Adam

Is an NVR switch really necessary for an extractor anyway?

Possibly not but I think its needed because of the start up current (it has a 16amp requirement) Model is Axminster ADE2200. I'm not enough of a sparky to know but to make mine work form inside I'd need to bypass the switch which would probably (definitely) invalidate any warranty.

:oops: Maybe I actually don't mean an NVR but its the same principle - turn it off at the wall and you have to switch it back at the machine.

Cheers

T

tim":3oeg48ie said:
(it has a 16amp requirement) Model is Axminster ADE2200. T

Yeah, mine quoted that as well (although it's a scheppach). Having measured the steady state current at 2-3 amps from memory - compared to the recommendation in the catalogue of 16 amp dedicated supply. I decided a 13amp mains would be OK. I'm an electronic engineer - so felt comfortable with making this decision. Interesting - my extractor has only a simple "On/Off" rocker switch - which is ideal. I can see no reason why an extractor should have a NVR (or equivalent). Anyone know the reasoning?

Adam

With reference to NVR switches the only reason I know of fitting them is to prevent a machine starting on its own following a power outage
If you are happy for the extractor to start up then all you need to do is bypass the NVR switch It dose not offer any overload protection

Nigel (electrician)

Adam

You no longer have the most cramped workshop I have ever seen

Congratulations :wink: :lol:

I bypassed my nvr quite simply it had lucar connectors as used on cars two wires in ,two out i got some flat blade connect strip pre insulated (used on cars) and used it to join through the wires .You end up with a fully insulated connection then i plated over the hole job done.

That seems to be exactly what I need to do - can I get the fittings at any car place?

T

Tony":2mockxe7 said:
Adam

You no longer have the most cramped workshop I have ever seen

Congratulations :wink: :lol:

Just wait, the unit I made yesterday has already filled it quite well. At least it'll make some space for me, on the workbench!!!

Adam

Back