Workshop electrics. What do I need?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all, I'm back again.

Well, I can't find anything that tells me how to calculate the startup current. So how do I establish the shed current for cable size?

You have all the answers you need, calculating instantaneous start current is pointless.Time to make up your mind if you are going to do this job and say nothing or consult a spark.

Sorry Old. I don't understand what you mean:

Time to make up your mind if you are going to do this job and say nothing or consult a spark.

Like I previously said, I like to do things myself. Once I have all the relevant facts I shall install the electrics myself, then I shall employ an electrician to check my installation, and if all is fine pass it off, (I have recently heard that electricians don't like passing electrics that they themselves have not installed. If this is true, and I am unable to find one, Will the council pass it)?

Look back at my previous answers on how to square up the sparks (you do the hard work). You can apply to install electrics as a incompetent installer with a written short description of the work and pay a fee.
CU units can be expensive look at a previous post of mine for a plastic MK one on ebay more switches than you need and a extra mcb to buy but still a good price.

Hobbyshop":3b1qn6gw said:
Workshop Circuits
Prior to the changes in 2008 the lighting circuit would not have required RCD protection but since I intend to surface mount all cables and fittings then all the circuits will need RCD protection as they will not be protected against mechanical damage.

I believe you are referring to regulations 522.6.6, 522.6.7 and 522.6.8 - these apply to cables which are concealed - if the cable is clipped to the surface of the wall along the entire length of the circuit and is not concealed then they do not apply. That said there may be other regulations which would apply and require an RCD to be fitted.

The wiring regs require that cables are installed to minimise the risk of mechanical damage (522.6.1, 522.6.2) and if the wiring is at risk of medium or high severity impacts then protection is required by choosing a wiring system with suitable mechanical properties, a suitable/safe route, providing mechanical protection etc.

Jonesy":cpa90fws said:
Hobbyshop":cpa90fws said:
Workshop Circuits
Prior to the changes in 2008 the lighting circuit would not have required RCD protection but since I intend to surface mount all cables and fittings then all the circuits will need RCD protection as they will not be protected against mechanical damage.

I believe you are referring to regulations 522.6.6, 522.6.7 and 522.6.8 - these apply to cables which are concealed - if the cable is clipped to the surface of the wall along the entire length of the circuit and is not concealed then they do not apply. That said there may be other regulations which would apply and require an RCD to be fitted.

The wiring regs require that cables are installed to minimise the risk of mechanical damage (522.6.1, 522.6.2) and if the wiring is at risk of medium or high severity impacts then protection is required by choosing a wiring system with suitable mechanical properties, a suitable/safe route, providing mechanical protection etc.

Thankyou for the additional information. It is appreciated.

On the subject of start up current for your table saw I would normally consult the instructions / manual as these values would be stated. If you are using mcb's you need to make sure you have the correct Type B, C or D, not knowing the exact installation I would recommend a Type C as a minimum. The different types have different tripping characteristics, I can look up if you require.

As for Consumer Unit (or Distribution Board as we call them over here :lol: ) I have found that B&Q sometimes have special offers on which can make the CU (or DB) cheaper to buy there as a one off instead of trying an electrical wholesalers (unless your already a customer of a wholesalers). I once bought all my MK electrical fittings from B&Q for fitting out a house as it was about 10% cheaper than the wholesaler could offer me (even thought I have an account with them!!!!! :roll: )

Hope this has been of help.... :D

Nice one shortspark.
I did read somewhere that I would need a C type breaker, but I can't remember where. I'll have to read through everything again. :shock:

I would like to thank everyone for your help and patiants. I realise I can be a bit slow, (medication) at times, (most) but I am the sort of guy that needs things explained step by step. Again thank you all, you have been a tremendous help. =D>

Back