Workshop design

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stage1v8

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Kinda new to this wood working lark. Usually could be seen creating sparks with bits of metal in the past! Enjoying reading the posts on here and learning loads every time I log in.

So here is my first project!

I have been given a few tools by my father to add to my collection so started to think about converting the cellar into a workshop. Its not very big (8'x12') and the roofs a bit low (I am 6'3" and the roof is 6'2" to the plaster board a previous owner lined it with) but I am hoping with a bit of clever design I can make it usable.

Here is a picture of the layout:

cellar.jpg

On the right there are 2 x 14" square brick pillars supporting the fireplace and chimney in the room above and a 3" stone slab at waist height in the corner.

Here is what I want to fit in:

General tools and tool boxes - Thinking shelves, drawers & cupboards

Workbench - Thinking fold down/up workbench in front of brick pillars that extends in to the space between the pillars so when in place is 14" wider.

Mitre saw - may just leave that portable and sink some threaded fixings into the work bench to mount it with some extension fence things that clamp on either side.

Table saw - Currently have a cheap 10" saw that I intend to make a mobile stand for with fold up side extensions and out feed. Could also use fold up work bench if heights all made to line up.

The main think I am looking for peoples suggestions on is the work bench. I have 2 ideas:

1. Fold up/down.

Pro's:
Gives me more space when folded away

Cons:
May not be as sturdy as a fixed one.
Loose possible cupboard and drawer space created under a fixed workbench

2. Fixed/built in

Pro's:
Could be made full width and incorporate the stone slab area giving a 10' long work top 600-800 mm deep but with 2 x 14' brick pillars sticking into it.
Can build drawers and cupboards underneath to give a lot of storage
Could build a recess for the mitre saw that could be covered with a board when not being used.

Con's
Space!

What do people think?

I hope to build a router table into all of this as well but thats one for later in the year.

Thanks

Jon

I had thought of digging a bit deeper but not really keen on the idea to truthful. I dont want to start breaking up the concrete floor to find that I have no where to go as the foundations are not deep enough.

The height is just workable and I am going to gain an inch by pulling down the exisitng ceiling and doing something a wee bit better. Should also gain some storage between the joists as an added bonus.

Jon

stage1v8":cixubp8j said:
I had thought of digging a bit deeper but not really keen on the idea to truthful. I dont want to start breaking up the concrete floor to find that I have no where to go as the foundations are not deep enough.

The height is just workable and I am going to gain an inch by pulling down the exisitng ceiling and doing something a wee bit better. Should also gain some storage between the joists as an added bonus.

Jon

I would be astounded if you broke up the concrete floor and couldn't remove 6" of earth and put a floor back in - i.e. hit some sort of foundation issue.

You could always do some sort of test hole near a wall and see what the situation is.

WRT removing the ceiling - you do realise HerIndoors ain't going to be too chuffed as the noise will enter the living space very easily. Not to mention and vapours\smells if you are finishing anything.

Hi Jon,

How wide is the space between the two buttresses on the right?

If wide enough, that will be a good place to put your workbench. Pushing against the brickwork would leave you with no worries over stability. :D

Good luck, and welcome to the Forum.
John :)

Is there anyway to maximize the stone slab in the corner? Putting the bench on it would be an option but that would be less than ideal. It would suit my needs but it might suit yours.

Eoin

I think that low ceiling is the main issue. Whatever you can do to raise it would be a bonus. You don't mention lighting (unless I've missed it) so that's something else that's going to be crucial in a cellar, especially with that ceiling :x
For tools, I'd go for a decent small bandsaw and extractor with a small p/t if possible. Put the bench 'twixt the brick pillars but don't make it folding...if you rack out everything on the wall in front you'll have plenty of room
The stone slab could be covered with some ply or mdf and turned into a useful assembly area or possibly for a pillar drill or lathe? - Rob

Are any of the wall outside and below ground?

I only ask as before you start building any fixtures, you might want to make sure you are totally damp proof.

Damp walls can/will absorb infinite quantities of heat to make it comfortable to say nothing of the effect on your tools and the storage of wood for project then taken upstairs to a much dryer environment.

I too would attack the floor as part of the exercise and get a good damproof course in and take it up the walls to well above external ground level.

Bob

Hi Folks,

Thanks for all the replies.

In response to a few questions:

The gap between the brick pillars is approx 3' 6". I was considering making a T shaped workbench fitted into this gap.

The stone slab could easily be utilised. One idea I was already considering was covering with a couple of payers of ply or MDF and incorporating it into a larger work bench or using it as a second work area that I can mount bench tools or clamp stuff.

One of the walls is below ground (built on a hill) so is a little damp. I have plumbed some heating in there and improved the ventilation so happy for now. Its suprisingly dry compared to most cellars I have been in. I have been storing tools down there for a while and I keep them in boxes with large desicant packs and haven't had any rust problems. Any workbench type stuff build in there will be finished as though its going to stand outside just in case and as its so small I will try to find storage for wood elsewhere and buy timber as I need it.

On the lighting from, I have power and will be fitting plenty of lighting. As the roof is low I cant have fittings sticking down so planning on using LED down lighters so I don't burn my head on them. Also plan to fit some localised spot lighting to illuminate work areas.

I am not going to look at digging the floor out just yet as even buying enough concrete to lay a new floor would probably break the budget at the moment. Plus, I mentioned this to the missus and the look of horror on here face means it would need a lot of negotiating.

Its not the perfect space by any means but it what I have and I hope to make it usable.

I think I am going to go with a fixed workbench rather than fold down so I can build some drawers and cupboards into the base as time and money allows. Will probably line the wall between the brick pillars and then make some kind of rack above the bench and at the bottom of the stairs. Seen a few things on the internet that use french cleats/split battens that look useful.

Once I have sorted through the 300 tins of old paint and cleared the junk out I might post a few pics of the progress.

Cheers

Jon

I'll be very interesed to see what solutions you come up with because we have a cellar that I want to use as a workshop that has pretty much exactly the same problems. Actually it's a little worse because the floor is still the original uneven brick (laid direct to earth) and the ceiling is slightly lower at only 6'. Depending on the age of your house you might not have any foundations. I've dug a test hole in the corner of our cellar and found the bottom of the wall is only a couple of inches below the brick floor and sitting direct on the earth.

Ours is a 1910 end terrace. Knowing my luck I would dig a hole and it would fall down.

There is a coal cellar to the side that is still a brick floor on earth which is at the same level as the concrete in our main cellar so I am guessing it was dug up at some point and concreted.

Jon

Back