Workshop Alarm

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnf

Established Member
Reaction score
I am getting more concerned about security these days so thinking about alarm systems and security
What do the rest of you do
I have five lever deadlocks on the doors and internal window shutters but I am thinking that an alarm that triggers a alert in the house would be a good thing to have at least then you would stand a chance of stopping the b.....ds.

Does anyone have a system similar to that and any recomends

I bought a wired system off the bay, don't trust wireless ones to be reliable. It covers four zones so getting in and moving about without setting it off is nigh on impossible. I also added a secondary sounder which makes it very, very loud, painful on the ears infact in such a small space and I can hear it from the house some 30M away.
It doesn't 'deter' an attempted break in as I don't give any warning it is there in case that makes someone think it might be worth trying, but I doubt they'd hang around when it goes off.

I have an alarm fitted in my shop, it was a diy job with two sensors and door sensors, The secondary sounder is fitted in the shop and the external one is very very loud but can not easily bee seen. hopefully this will not advertise that there is anything desirable inside I have also fitted a five lever lock and the door is a very heavy fire door, with the frame bolted in to the door opening. the building it self is constructed from block and brick It will not however prevent a determined entry attempt, but will raise a lot of attention.

Studders, I had an alarm in my BX car and the siren was inside and VERY loud! I worked on the principle that it's difficult to steal anything when you have yer fingers in yer ears!

The idea of having the siren inside is also very good because anyone who has broken in can't hear if/when anyone is coming and it tends to make them very nervous..

I have an ex-caravan alarm in my workshop. Works a treat and I have the door set so it 'chirps' when anyone comes in. That way I don't get any surprises if I have my fingers near my band saw, etc.

I wired a door contact & a motion sensor from the workshop to the house alarm, but instead of wiring it to its own zone which would mean the alarm was disabled when the house alarm was off, I instead wired it to the tamper circuit.

The only way to disable the shop alarm is via a hidden switch in the house, the beauty of this is regardless of whether the kids have alarmed the house when they go out, if I`m not in the shop, it is still alarmed.

It was also fairly inexpensive, just a bit of wire, door contact & sensor.

Cheers.

Jonzjob":14r2m2zt said:
Studders, I had an alarm in my BX car and the siren was inside and VERY loud! I worked on the principle that it's difficult to steal anything when you have yer fingers in yer ears!
I'm a bit mutt an jeff Jon so if it hurts me to walk in when it's gone off it must really pain someone with normal hearing.

A tip I received from a Scenes of Crime guy was to have a very, very, VERY loud alarm repeater inside the building. Thieves live with the fact that nobody takes any notice of an alarm these days, but if they can't hear the approach of police cars etc and are made uncomfortable, they will not dwell for very long. I reckon a system to make the sound swap directions is good too, so one minute from the north, then south, then both etc. Also bright security lights. Use good PIR/microwave sensors too, not just door sensors. And be unpredictable, don't allow for example, locals to get the impression your workshop is always deserted at night and/or on a Sunday. Have the light switch itself off a random interval after you've left and perhaps leave it on sometimes with your whistling cat (see below) on patrol.

It's all kidology though. If the little treasures want your machinery and other bits, they will chance their arm whatever the precautions you exercise.

All those scientists of course should be genetically engineering a whistling cat that wears size eleven hobnail boots. We could then buy one and leave it on our premises clod-hopping and whistling as it looked for mice.

Cheers

Pete

Mine is wired into the house system. It has its own zone and can be armed/disarmed without the house being armed. If you set the house it will also set the shop so no chance of it being left out by kids or her! The sounder is next to my bedroom window so it always wakes me up! The only way in to my shop is into the reception then into the shop. There are sensors in the reception and in the shop but I have tried doing a hit and run myself and although I got a drill in my hand as I left the building I was in the building min 10 seconds with the sounder going. No chance of machines going missing (unless they really know what there doing with alarms).

Back