Workbench build - WIP - Almost finished and a small treat!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeddedhed

Established Member
Reaction score
Having browsed many of the workbench WIP threads on here I'm close to the end of the procrastination/design phase of building my new bench.
I posted a while ago a large lump of wood which you guys thought was probably Iroko.

iroko slab.jpg

This is what I intend to use for the front portion of the bench. At least thats the plan. If anyone here knows a really good reason not to do so please let me know.
I'm sure some of you will think it's a huge waste or something like that, but it was free, and I can't see me using for anything else in the near future. Also I'm fed up with tripping over it.

The basic design will be to use the above slab as the front of the bench as previously stated, and then for the rear portion either a tool well (not too sure about this yet - it could end up being a huge ashtray/dumping ground etc) or laminate up some Beech or similar to make a second slab.

A good mate of mine has a slot running the full length of his bench which can be blocked off with a length of hardwood. When it comes out it tuns over and becomes a full length stop. This idea appeals to me, although I'm not sure why.
For work holding I'll probably go with a Record 52 1/2 quick release vice (i've used one of these quite a bit and like it a lot) and a wagon vice at the end.

Underframe will be made from Siberian Larch as I've got a load of 5 x 5 posts lying around left over from building the workshop.

The first job is to get the Iroko beast prepared. It's already got a face side and edge - we managed to throw it over a mates Wadkin UOS P/T
Now I need to square it up which I plan to do by making up a router sled and incrementally skimming it until all sides are parallel.

I'd be interested on the members opinions of building a bench from such a mix of timbers (it's mainly an economy thing - I want to use what I've already got as much as possible)

It's not going to be a quick build, but I thought if I declare my intentions to all and sundry it may just motivate me to get on with the damned thing.

I'll post pictures as and when and will welcome all feedback/mockery and insults. I know you're a fairly friendly and non judgmental bunch (unless the topic is sharpening :? ) but trust me - you haven't seen my attempts at hand cut Mortice and Tenons yet.

So in summary, watch this space and anyone selling a decent second hand Record 52 1/2 can get in touch asap. Or someone with a decent Wagon Vice thingy for sale. (Or someone with a nice workbench for sale!! :D )

Pete

Attachments

• iroko slab.jpg
    iroko slab.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 2,151
Hello Pete, if that iroko is as big as it looks against the solo clamp in your photo then I reckon you're set fair and I wouldn't lose much sleep over the details. A massive top like that will compensate for an awful lot of shortcomings elsewhere! I'd try not to cut it about too much though, if you've built one bench you'll inevitably end up building a second when your ideas have developed a bit more, and it would be a shame if wagon vice slots or central stops prevented you from re-using such a mighty top.

Incidentally, absolutely no problems mixing wood for a bench.

Thanks Custard, that helps to set my mind at rest.
The Iroko slab really is that big - two of us can just lift it from the floor to the current bench top. When we were moving it into the workshop I dropped it on my foot - even though I was wearing steel toes I still end up with blood soaked socks.
I don't plan on cutting the central slot into the slab. I had the idea of cutting two blocks and using them to act as spacers between the front and rear slabs, thus creating a slot. Same principle for the wagon Vice slot - Spacers on the front edge of the iroko and then an apron (ish) of beech or whatever is lying around to create a slot. Probably make up some end pieces as well (if that makes sense)

When I get some more time I'll try and do a Sketchup drawing of my intended behemoth!!

Pete

I'm embarrassed to say that since starting this thread and telling you all that procrastination was (almost) over I was wrong.
Procrastination continued (and is possibly still going on).
Unfortunately I don't get much time to do "me" jobs - the ones I really want to do. Paying jobs and projects for 'er indoors always take priority so the fun bits get put on the back burner.

I'm now thoroughly fed up with tripping over the Iroko slab shown in the first post and having just purchased some new machinery and had a bit of sort out have decided that either I build the bench or use the slab for something else.

Part of the problem is that the slab only has a face side and edge - it's too big to go through my Hammer p/t for thicknessing and squaring off.

Getting it prepped is part of the reason for the inertia here.

Would it be a bad thing to rip it down it's length and then re-join it?

As i said in the earlier posts I've got some Siberian Larch (120 x 120) posts that I was going to use for legs and some Oak boards at 45 x 100 for the stretchers and underframe.

The Iroko will make up the front of the bench and then I intended to build a tool well at the back out of whatever was lying around.

After thicknessing the Iroko will end up about 350 x 65 x 2400.

Any comments gratefully received.

Id be happy to machine it for you, Im just outside East Grinstead.

Theres nothing wrong with cutting it and rejoining it, in principal it would be more stable, but cutting a wide board of iroko can release a lot of tension so you might end up with 2 bowed pieces!

Robin

Robin,
thanks very much for the offer - that's extremely kind of you. If you let me know your details I'll call you and arrange a time next week to get it over to you (along with some beer tokens of course :)

The idea of ripping it down did make me wonder if I'd then end up with two 'canoes'.
The slab has been sitting in my workshop for nearly a year now and shows absolutely no signs of movement whatsoever, so I figured that using in one whole piece would be fine.
It would seems to be a bit of a crime to start chopping it up!

Phil.p,
I guess I was think that if the underside is parallel to the top side, and the back edge parallel to the front edge it will make the whole assembly process that much easier when fitting the under frame etc.
I don't have much experience with this kind of joinery to be honest but when I've made tables I've always ensured that I start out with properly prepared boards. It just makes it easier for me later on. I'm not sufficiently skilled or experienced to deal with having a wonky face or edge.
Does that make sense?

No problem, anything to encourage some new inertia on the bench building front :D

To be honest, Id be a bit put off having to par such a big lump with a router sled.

Ill pm you address/contact details.

Robin

Some (?) progress to report:
  • Firstly a huge thanks to Robin for bunging the lump of mystery wood through his mahoosive thicknesser.

Secondly, whilst hanging out with Jimi and fending off the amorous advances of Alfie we identified the wood as Keruing (probably). Fo a short while following a comment from a friend I thought I had got myself a huge chunk of BrazilWood and was worried that making a bench from such a rare piece of timber would cause the woodworking gods to strike me down! Happily this is not the case.

Now it's time for some design decisions to be finalised.

The main lump is now 80mm x 360 x 1780.
I'm heading for a width of about 765.
I want a tool well at the back
I want to utilise a full length stop as on some split top designs.
I have a Record 53 1/2 on it's way to me.
Dunno about tail vice - not keen on shouldered type for some reason.

I decided it was high time I downloaded Sketchup and tried to put together some ideas.
The picture below shows the bench top design so far.
The dog holes are representative - spacings and quantity to be refined.
The tool well will have ramps at either end - I couldn't figure out how to draw a wedge in SU.

Workbench 01.png

if anyone can spot any obvious oversights or dumb ideas please let me know.

Thanks

Attachments

• Workbench 01.png
    Workbench 01.png
    216.3 KB · Views: 1,885
I acquired a fair bit of keruing a couple of years ago, some in the form of trailer flooring and a lot of reclaimed plank floor/deck.

The second picture down in this thread is of a bit of the reclaimed stuff I had, the grain is very interlocked on all the bits I looked at.

wood-id-needed-t62413.html

As for your workbench design, if you think its right then it probably is - they seem to be a very personal thing to build. Cant say too much though as mines still a pile of reclaimed beech stacked up in the garage :oops: :oops: :oops:

If you've a pillar drill or a decent drill stand, you can space some of your dog holes so they can be used to mount them by the vice, killing two birds with one stone. You can swing the drill out over something held in the vice.

phil.p":100fw7h8 said:
If you've a pillar drill or a decent drill stand, you can space some of your dog holes so they can be used to mount them by the vice, killing two birds with one stone. You can swing the drill out over something held in the vice.

I take it that you prefer round dog holes as opposed to the square ones so often seen.

I've been thinking a lot about the dog holes and read an article by bench crafted (I think) which led me to go the square route (i.e.. home made wooden square dogs) but I'd like and value your opinion on the subject.

I realise that there is no reason not to do both (other than my own reluctance to carve up the big slab too much)

Is there a real disadvantage to either type or a strong advantage to either type?

Pete

:) I was fortunate enough to get a pair of the famous Mr.T holdfasts. I know nothing of the square ones, but of course to mount something only requires a hole, it doesn't matter what shape it is, you just might need a bigger washer underneath.

Andy,
thanks for looking and for your comment.
I've incorporated a slot down the middle of the bench (in front of the tool well) which would take chisels, saws, etc when not being used as a stop.
Do you think I'd find that the position midway across the bench will be in the way?
You can probably tell I'm not that used to bench work.
Bear in mind that when this is done and in position I'll only have to turn around and walk one pace and I'll have a 1220 x 2440 assembly bench to hand.

Here's the latest Sketchup picture showing the base.

A bit more fiddling and thinking required and I'm due to start work on it next week.

Workbench 02.png

Attachments

• Workbench 02.png
    Workbench 02.png
    253.1 KB · Views: 665

Latest posts

Back