Workbench and Router Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt

Established Member
Reaction score
In my ongoing quest to get my workshop sorted I'm turning my attention to workbenches. I discarded my heavy workbench with built in vice etc as it did not fit into my plans to make the shop equipment as mobile as possible. I've been looking at multi-function tables; considering the likes of the UKJ one from Axminster.

At the same time I'm looking for a solution to mounting my CMT router to a table. My last table was homemade (badly) and was mostly in the way when not in use.

I recently spotted the Triton TWX7 workcentre and thought this may be the answer if I bought the router table table too.

Thoughts and advice welcome - in particular from anyone who has fitted a non Triton router to the same table?

Hmm, its an interesting idea. I had the old triton workcentre thing ages ago - brilliant idea but poorly executed but this is totally different. I can't help think that the surface is rather small - do you work on site? When you say mobile do you mean carry it around in the van or just on caster to move around your workshop?

I made this out of stuff kicking around as a general table but its quite heavy (it on castors but I wouldn't want to shift it outside). It now has t-track installed, a router fence I clamp on and a big engineers vice. At some point I will MFT the top.
IMG_1085.jpg

The only reason I bring it up is that if you just need to wheel it around you could knock up something similar for very little cost. You can even make the frame out of the extrusions used by festool et al.

Attachments

• IMG_1085.jpg
    IMG_1085.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 660
I bought a standard workbench and shortened the legs to put castors on, the height is now the exactly the same as my table saw and router table, which allows it to be used as a in-feed or out-feed table.

Bench before.jpg

Bench after.jpg

Mike

Attachments

• Bench before.jpg
    Bench before.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 654
  • Bench after.jpg
    Bench after.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 654
Everything that needs an out-feed or in-feed are now at the same height after some modifications and on locking castors, makes life much easier.

Same height.jpg

Mike

Attachments

• Same height.jpg
    Same height.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 647
Thanks both for valuable input. Both very nice benches and the concept of everything at the same height is aligned to what I've been doing so far. I do not work on site but I do have a covered area on my patio which I work on quite often so portability is quite useful.

My mitre saw and table saw both have mobile stands in the workshop (garage) but get carried outside. I have the Axminster trestles, usually with a 8 x 4 sheet on top making a brilliant work area and a good height for the mitre saw. The table saw usually stands on a workmate set to its lower level.

This is helping me clarify my requirements. In the winter I need a modest but highly functional workbench indoors. If it doubles as a router table and can be taken outside then that would give me more value.

I do have a second B&D workmate - the type that allows the rear part of the surface to be moved back and forth to increase capacity. I'm wondering whether I could adapt it to hold an alternative top. I find workmates a little on the low side but I could make a box section top and give myself space to put tools below and have clearance for the route. Or... Make a mobile base for it to stand on to raise it up AND make it mobile...

Hmmmm... the creative juices are flowing... And I love being able to use stuff I've already got, especially when it's stuff that I cannot always justify giving space to!

Just one thing, my work floor is raised off a barn floor, looking at the photo's they where before I put an edging around it to stop the mobile units from running away if I forgot to lock the castors, don't ask. :roll:

Mike

Ahh righto. It is enjoyable working stuff like this out.

Personally I'd bin the idea of the folding leg type thing and go the fixed/castor route - it'll be bigger, better and more stable. Drop in a router plate, make/buy a nice fence and you're off to the races. Nothing to stop you buying the triton modules and letting them into your own table either.

Good luck - we expect photos!

Back