Wooh Hoo again

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
After the previous wooh hoo thread I am pleased to report I did not get into trouble this time.

I must admit I was a little concerned though, because I prepared enough corner mouldings to fit this next box before cutting the mitres.

However, I meticulously set up my SCMS saw with a sacrificial bottom board and with the blade set at 45% I put down a cutting line through this board.
Against this cutting line I placed a stop block on the right hand side so any timber cut could not creep.

On the left of the timber to be cut I put another stop block and after cutting the mitre on one end I flipped the piece round an placed the new edge against the right hand block AND THEN PLACED THE CUT OFF FROM THE FIRST CUT AT THE BACK END TO STOP ANY CREEP BACK TO THE LEFT.

Pictures attached, also showing the box glued up.

cutmitrefirstf.jpg

cutmitres1f.jpg

cutmitre2.jpg

cutmitre4f.jpg

box51f.jpg

box52f.jpg

PS, Lynx let me have the veneers earlier this year, and the ply came from a skip.

Got the drop in lid on yesterday, but the next time a make a box I will definately cut the lid off the carcass. I had to feel the fit creating this one!

box53f.jpg

I really like the way you use odd scraps of timber to hold such a small piece in place on the mitre saw. If that was me, I'd have probably struggled with a clamp for half an hour. And marked or dented the workpiece too! :wink:

Yes Olly,
I found from cutting a previous box without those scrap timbers in place not only meant surface damage from clamps but also timber movement sideways from the saw because there was not enough support to prevent creep and then had accuracy problems at mitred corners.

Little sad news today though, the eldest daughter spied the box and it is going to Buckinghamshire later this week. :wink:

Back