Woodworm holes in tool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think freeze drying is, at this stage, primarily experimental, or currently of only small economic significance. I'm not aware of any individual, e.g., a small furniture business, or any larger scale/commercial wood drying operation, undertaking freeze drying. Someone else that visits here may know of such operations, but I've not come across it, or them. Slainte.

Thanks Richard - I guess, apart from controlling the rate of loss of moisture, achieving the low temperature required quickly enough in a domestic freezer is part of the challenge. It's got to be worth having a play, though!

Chris, I'm sure you could reduce the moisture content of green wood quite rapidly in even a domestic freezer, although how you'd introduce monitoring for both preventing faults and moisture loss, along with relevant control measures might be a challenge.

A business acquaintance of mine that owned a fairly large scale commercial air drying operation reckoned that sunny and frosty days, ideally with a little gentle air movement, were excellent for extracting moisture out of wood. Slainte.

Back