Woodworking gear at Aldi nextweek

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isnt there a law against blatantly lying in advertisements?

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/s ... ing-lathe/

''Just the job for hobbycraft work and for more advanced wood turning/woodworking projects.''

Now I am not a tool Snob (can't afford to be :wink: ) and I am not averse to shopping at Aldi,
I have bought a very sturdy step ladder from there and we have heard great reports about the workshop vacs, but hands up anyone that thinks that that lathe would be suitable for a 350mm bowl!! The tool rest and even the bed are made from or supported with what looks like pressed steel a few mil thick.
If its not downright dangerous I have a feeling it will be next to useless.

That lathe is almost as cheap as the electric drill attachments which are indeed awful. I suppose this could be fine for someone who is not sure whether turning is for them, then perhaps sell it on without making much of a loss. I don't expect the tools supplied would be much help though - I think that could put people off.

K

The diamond needle file set is a must have if you use wooden molding planes and the cheap router cutters are a good buy.
I have a couple of router with a chamfering bit and a round over bit in both work well.

Pete

I'm intrigued by the fact that the router cutter set includes "2 collets" : one actually looks like a reducer sleeve (1/2" -> 1/4"), and possibly almost worth it on its own if you've a 1/2 router and no 1/4" collet; goodness knows whhich router the other (which looks like a true collet) fits!

I agree with Racers - good value for occasional use, if you don't expect too much.

I called in and bought the router table this morning there were a number of guys buying todays offers. Mainly the router and bits. I had a glimps at these, could not identify the collet size, A pledge has been signed that my next router has to be with at least a half inch collet. The kitchen router bit sets looked a bargain at under £7.00 but only one was identified to fit a 6mm collet. No one was observed buying the lathe. I assembled the router table this afternoon which went well I mean for under £30.00 it has to be worth it. I bought a safety switch last year from amazon and that cost me £50.00. the 3 feather boards probably £12 to £20.00. Table inserts to buy seperately are about £40.00. The fixings for the safety switch were a bit naff, broke them off by accident while trying to set the router up for a trial run. The setting up was a pain in the preverbial it took ages to set with some form of accuracy. I made my own table last year with a router lift, works a treat, sets up in minutes. What I have bought today is some cheap kit that can be adapted into my own home made table and the safety switch can be adapted. Incidently the power cable to the power source is only 20" long!

Back