Woodworking Books....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimi43

Established Member
Reaction score
Sometimes you get socks (I like getting socks) and sometimes you get smellies...and sometimes inappropriate presents for your birthday but yesterday I got two of the best presents I have had for many years...

DSC_0015.JPG

My son bought me this one specifically because he knows I love woodworking and he chose very well....

This volume is very well written and laid out and has a ring spine which means it lays flat for reference. It is not overly simplistic nor is it so complicated that it is worthless as a reference...indeed it is just perfect...here are some pages:

From tool selection both hand and machine...to wood basics...how it grows...it starts out very well for the beginner and experienced user alike...

DSC_0016.JPG

It covers all sorts of techniques...indeed all you will need really:

DSC_0017.JPG

Some things to interest spinners and chippers...

DSC_0018.JPG

DSC_0020.JPG

and right up to design gurus and ideas for projects...

DSC_0019.JPG

Wonderful book! Thanks son!

And then to top it all off...my darling wife bought me this one...quite independently and coincidentally....

DSC_0022.JPG

Now, I thought this would be more of the same...but I was to be surprised...it was totally different...but equally as great...

It treats the same subjects in a completely different way...again wood selection...

DSC_0023.JPG

but it has a completely different ideas selection...

DSC_0024.JPG

I am already planning an outdoor recliner based on this one...

DSC_0025.JPG

SO...great pressies all around....thanks to both of them!!

Now off to read these over the next few weeks after which I will post a review in the review section if interest is high enough.

Cheers guys and gals..

Jim

Happy Birthday Jim, I like getting socks too ;) That second book was the very first woodworking book that I got. Bought for me by my missus too. It got me interested enough to start surfing around. Sadly for the rest of the members here, I soo found this forum and the rest is, er, history ;)

Matt...Tom....

You better check that you still have your copies...she found that one in a charity shop for the princely sum of 50p!!! Totally unread!

Allowed her to give me the cash for this instead:

200501_l.jpg

I train 'em well in this house ya know!

:D :D

Jim

Thanks for the birthday wishes guys...

That there is a Japanese Depth Adjustable Ryoba Saw.

I intend to use the back stop to limit the depth and use it as a fret (as in guitar) cutting saw.

CLICK HERE TO VIEW

It's nearly fifty squids but heck....what the hell!

Jim

I had the first book for christmas & it is brilliant & refreshing
Happy Birthday!!

I have been asked to choose a book for a present & i may just choose your second one

my mum gave me 20 notes for an aniversary present so i may spend it on one or both of these.

jimi43":3ok2j7s6 said:
According to the inside back cover they both come in at £12.99 but I would hazard that they may be cheaper on Amazon....yup...

Woodworker's Technique £ 8.59

and...an AMAZING £3.72 for the second one...

Almost as cheap as a charity shop!!!

Cheers

Jim

well ive just ordered them both off amazon and i didnt get them quite that cheap as i went for technique new, but i got the otherone for 3.72 so thats 20 notes well spent, ta muchly for the reccomndation

No probs moose....

I have had a chance to do a quick scan...and the depth is greater on the second one...but the first one has some unique things in it that make it worthwhile...so I would buy both myself were I choosing.....

More reviews later....

Jim

Thank you for starting this thread Jim, i ordered a homeguide to woodwork.

Saddly i had to buy used (like new though) as most would not ship to Belgium. :roll: Can't wait to leaf throught it...

chingerspy":o9nstsp9 said:
Happy birthday Jim!

I have the bible book but have mislaid it right now :(
It is a pullsaw i have one that is not backed but i can still get perfect control better than western saws

just got the homeguide to woodwork, nice book, thanks for the heads up. Now SWMBO wants some garden furniture :)

Back