Woodworking books by V.J.Taylor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheshirechappie

Established Member
Reaction score
Whilst rummaging through the 'library' for something else, I recently rediscovered the book, "Construction of Period Country Furniture" by V.J.Taylor. A cursory glance turned into a proper read - it's a book of some merit.

The bulk of the book is a collection of 28 period furniture projects, with excellent exploded drawings showing joinery and construction details, building notes, and cutting list. The projects range from side tables to a 17th century book press, and whilst one or two would only be suitable for a large house (Tudor style refectory table, for example), most would fit the average 3-bed semi quite happily. All the projects have something a bit extra about them - cabriole legs, linen-fold carving, mouldings - that lift them from the basic to the more demanding, but none are beyond an improving woodworker with a relish for a challenge. There's also a general section covering basic information on topics such as Cabinet Work, Veneering, Fittings, Carving and Finishing, clearly written by someone who had been there and done it; the writing style is 'distilled' but with a lot of solid information and practical advice.

The book is no longer in print, as far as I can ascertain, but there are quite a few copies around secondhand at very reasonable prices, and anybody seeking an addition to the woodworking information banks, or a challenging project, would not be disappointed, I think. There are several other titles by the same author that look equally interesting.

So far, I've not been able to find out much about V.J.Taylor. I know he was editor of Woodworker some time between 1968 (when Charles Hayward retired) and the mid 1980s when I started taking the magazine, and I'm fairly sure he was apprenticed to the cabinet trade given the style and content of his writing, but that's all so far. Anybody know any more? (Note - don't confuse him with Zachary Taylor, who also edited Woodworker in the '80s or '90s.)

No takers? Oh well, can but ask!

I have discovered a little more. V.J.Taylor is Victor John Talyor, born 1920, and he lived (or possibly still lives!) in Bath. He has quite an impressive list of books to his credit. The ones I've identified so far are:

The Antique Furniture Trail
Making Antique Furniture
Making Dining Furniture
Making Chairs
The Construction of Period Country Furniture
Period Furniture Projects
Modern Furniture Construction
Woodworker's Fact Finder
Woodworker's Dictionary
Repairing and Restoring Antique Furniture
Home Woodwork
Home Decorating
Upholstery and Soft Furnishings
Over 150 Essential Jigs, Aids and Devices for Today's Woodworker

Certainly if the other books are of the quality and content of The Construction of Period Country Furniture, he's an author with the authority of the likes of Hayward and Wearing. It seems odd that he's been forgotten about!

I have Period Furniture Projects. It's a very well produced hardback book with excellent plans and diagrams for a wide variety of antique furniture.

Aside from learning a lot of the old techniques I've so far made the Shaker Rocker and the Dressing Mirror Stand.

Highly recommended.

Back