Woodwork, noise and neighbours

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I doubt it applies to your situation in Bedfordshire as you are more than likely sat on several metres of clay, but here in the Cotswolds ground transmitted impact noise can travel considerable distances through the rock the foundations are sat on, someone chopping wood a couple of doors away can sound like it's in our garage.
Just a thought as to possibility of isolating your workbench, which I assume is what you are chiselling on, with hard rubber or similar from concrete floors or walls in case they are compounding transmission rather than just direct airborne noise.

CHJ":con1n7rp said:
I doubt it applies to your situation in Bedfordshire as you are more than likely sat on several metres of clay, but here in the Cotswolds ground transmitted impact noise can travel considerable distances through the rock the foundations are sat on, someone chopping wood a couple of doors away can sound like it's in our garage.

That is pretty much what she describes.

Just a thought as to possibility of isolating your workbench, which I assume is what you are chiselling on, with hard rubber or similar from concrete floors or walls in case they are compounding transmission rather than just direct airborne noise.

After reading this, I have had a look at "Isorubber mats", which are pretty much made to do that. I think a heavier bench top, with some isolation under the bench legs, would probably help a bit. I may get some of the mats to try out for now, with a view to using one of the flooring products more suited for a new build when we re-build it. Thanks for the suggestion.

7th floor apartment, two more apartments on the same floor, plus one floor above and 6 floors below.

Never had any trouble, but then I work only for a hobby, only very small work (I would have no space for bigger work, anyway), with no schedules or deadlines to worry about. Of course, no hammering away at mortises, etc., which brings a number of limitations to the hobby...

Except for my small DP and my bench grinder, which have relatively silent induction motors, and for my electric hand drill, which I use only occasionally, I use almost exclusively hand tools (of course, chisels do need a few taps now and then...). If ever I need to use a powered tool (circular saw, sander, etc.) I carry everything, including the Workmate, to an open balcony - but only when the wheather allows which, with all the dust powered tools generate, is a good excuse for doing it as few times as possible.

Of course, I would like to have a better place to work, but not being a pro I can adapt to these restrictions and live more or less happily with them.

G.

Back