woodrat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodman22

Reaction score
i am very interested in the woodrat 900 but i need to know the shipping rate to st. vincent and the grenadines

Hi

You would be better buying the New RouterBoss, Check the spec out at Craftsman Gallery, seems they have made substantial upgrades to the spec of the Woodrat.

Shipping of the RouterBoss would be a better option to you.

Mooeee

woodman22":najhkd1d said:
i am very interested in the woodrat 900 but i need to know the shipping rate to st. vincent and the grenadines

Welcome Woodman! I spent some time on your lovely island back a while ago and I simply love the place and people! Say hi to the guys and gals in Cable and Wireless for me! I forget all their names but their hospitality will live forever in my mind.

AND...the hot sauce from your island is the best of all the chain...I should know..I collected all of them!

Jim

i am very happy that you thoroughly enjoyed my country. Cable and wireless is now LIME. I will certainly convey your sentiments to the folks.
i too have visted the UK on several occasions and i did enjoy your hospitality. I am hoping to visit again soon. I am very intrigue by the woodrat you know.
sorry i called you charlie

Hi guys. Not to hijack the thread, but has anybody heard how people are finding the Router Boss compares to the Woodrat?

Hi,

according to the Woodrat website, "Worldwide shipping" is £45.
Perhaps you could ask a question on the Woodrat forum to confirm it here:

http://woodrat.com/forum/

I have a Woodrat and I think it's a great tool. The latest model has plenty of T tracks so you can add similar features to that of the Router Boss - if you so wish, but from my perspective as a hobbyist it doesn't need anything more added to it.

Graham

I have an earlier Woodrat, and although I'm sure that I'd prefer all the latest bells and whistles, so far any problems I have had with it have all been down to "user error" :)

If you want to know about the Router Boss, DaveR is your man. You could drop him a PM. I believe he has had some dealings with the design of the new machine, from a CAD modelling point of view. He's a fan, I think.

S

Steve put me on to this thread. I had a WoodRat for many years and now have a Router Boss. I won't rattle on about them now but if you'd like to know my thoughts, drop me a PM and I'd be happy to share them.

Just out of interest, this is the first time I have heard of the Router Boss, and I wondered if this was being made under licence from Woodrat? I know that Woodrat have at least filed patent applications for their machines and that they sell Woodrats in the US. So I guess that RB have already gained a licence from them? Or maybe not...?

It appears that RB has some modded features compared to the WR, which may be slightly improved on the WR? But I think that my WR certainly does everything that I have asked of it, and it is perfectly good enough for the vast majority of routing tasks. I fully recommend it.

If anyone knows the answers to the above Qs, I would be interested to hear.

The Router Boss is not made under any sort of license from WoodRat. It is a separate machine. My understanding is that there was a patent in the US for one part of the WoodRat. That patent expired several years ago, though.

Curiously, when the Router Boss was first announced, there were lots of complaints that it is a copy of the WoodRat. Strangely though, I've never heard a single complaint about all the other tools that have competitors that look almost the same.

While it uses the same idea of keeping the router right way up and clamping the work underneath on a moving bar, there are substantial differences. Having had about 8 years of experience with the WoodRat and now owning a Router Boss, those differences are very clear to me.

thanks gentlemen
i am already convinced that the woodrat is my choice of machine. I am currently raising the funds. In my country i need to raise $3000.00 to get that machine.
thanks again

woodman22":2qxzlgja said:
thanks gentlemen
i am already convinced that the woodrat is my choice of machine. I am currently raising the funds. In my country i need to raise $3000.00 to get that machine.
thanks again

I would certainly hope that's not $3000 US?

Dave R":39sj6ixt said:
The Router Boss is not made under any sort of license from WoodRat. It is a separate machine. My understanding is that there was a patent in the US for one part of the WoodRat. That patent expired several years ago, though.

Curiously, when the Router Boss was first announced, there were lots of complaints that it is a copy of the WoodRat. Strangely though, I've never heard a single complaint about all the other tools that have competitors that look almost the same.

While it uses the same idea of keeping the router right way up and clamping the work underneath on a moving bar, there are substantial differences. Having had about 8 years of experience with the WoodRat and now owning a Router Boss, those differences are very clear to me.

OK thanks Dave. You are absolutely right at least one of the patents was filed back in 1987 and with the 20 year patent protection period now over, it seems the competitors are now free to use the ideas.

You say there are substantial differences, could you expand on that? What is it that is so different in the RB?

thanks
HM

Back