WoodRat versus the new Router Boss

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aldel

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I don't know if there are still any WoodRat users amongst the members here now but I thought you may like to know about a new competitor that will soon be available.
The Router Boss from the Craftsman Gallery looks like it will address all the little problems that the WoodRat had and be even more versatile too. Martin Godfrey now has some serious competition.
Lewis has allowed me to post some excellent engineering renderings on my 'Rat site http://www.aldel.co.uk/Router_Boss.htm.
I would be interested to hear your comments.

Aldel

Wow with all that green you might be fooled into thinking this is a Festool product!

Looks interesting.

Finally!

The woodrat advertises that it's 'designed by woodworkers' and it shows. As an engineer I'm delighted to see a product that appears to be 'designed by engineers'

When will you be getting a freebie Adel?

Aidan

Looks pretty exciting!

Just shows what happens when a company resolutely refuses to listen to the marketplace - someone will eat your lunch.

It looks interesting and probably expensive?
Cannot see me upgrading to it from from my Rat though - I do not use it enough to justify the outlay!

Rod

It does look interesting - particularly the improved fixing capability.
Look forward to a Adel review!

(Still a RAT user) John
PS I wonder if the WR patents apply and have been ignored or it is sufficiently different......

Harbo":19qzzw60 said:
It looks interesting and probably expensive? ..........

Rod

$699 - $799 based on length of beam so broadly in line with the WR. Bet that it will cost the same number of £'s tho' when imported into the UK. I wonder how heavy it is and how much excess baggage I'd have to pay to buy one on holiday and bring it home?

RogerM":oarax7yj said:
Harbo":oarax7yj said:
It looks interesting and probably expensive? ..........

Rod

$699 - $799 based on length of beam so broadly in line with the WR. Bet that it will cost the same number of £'s tho' when imported into the UK. I wonder how heavy it is and how much excess baggage I'd have to pay to buy one on holiday and bring it home?

As most tools come in at the same in pounds as dollars, the new machine will be much more expensive than a rat

As a rat owner, i am really quite disappointed with its many failings (i do mean many) and if this new machine is designed and engineered properly, then there may well be a 2nd hand woodrat for sale soon :wink:

I don't own a Woodrat - I've never used one. In fact I've never seen one!

However, I've read a fair bit about it on here and on other sites and the concept interests me. I get the distinct impression though, that the Woodrat's innovative basic design is badly let down by problems with build quality and idiosyncratic functionality.

I'd be interested in this new product if I could be assured that it could withstand the day to day punishment of a professional workshop. The Woodrat seems never to have been more than an occasional hobbyist's tool.

Thoughts, anyone?

I have a woodrat, and have found it to be very handy. I don't have room for a router table and would be lost without my rat for trenching, grooving etc. Not to mention the joint making capabilities.

I have been meaning to make a jig to improve work holding options, the new machine may provide some design clues and ideas.

Tony.

Tony - better get selling soon 'cause if the new machine comes out "tops" the price of S/H Rats will plummet!!

Rod :lol:

I had a rat years ago but got rid because of clamping problems.
This looks good but im surprised they can get away with it as it looks like a complete rip off to me. :shock:

Dave R":1hih1tut said:
I saw that, too. :roll:

Likewise, hardly sounds like fighting talk form Woodrat. A slip up with patents me thinks and someone else has grabbed at a free corner in the market. We can but hope Woodrat will reduce their prices to remain competitive. :lol:

Gary":2svx0gkr said:
. We can but hope Woodrat will reduce their prices to remain competitive. :lol:

I'm not sure that this would help them. The WoodRat is flawed in many areas due to poor design. Looks to me that the new one could have fixed the main issues and so one will not have to replace the jaws and and make loads of jigs so the thing is usable :wink: :lol:

When I received my 'Rat, i thought I'd bought a kit and it was up to me to finish it off :wink:
Once I had made a set of jigs, made new aluminium clamps and clamp guides, made some adjsutale jaws for the clamps, fitted a method of measuring position, made and fitted a precision stop (all are posted on here in detail), it proved to be a very useful joint cutter that occasionally is invaluable.

Still use the router table much more often than the Rat though........

I went back to read Henry's edited response. I'm dispapointed in him for making a comment like that. It sounds like sour grapes to me. From the images I've been able to see of the Router Boss, it seems to have little in common beyond appearance. The carriage appears to ride on better guides, the router mount is more flexible as far as setting angles of movement. There's no left hand clamp and the thing will be available in different lengths to suit.

I guess I'll wait to see when the Boss is released.

Currently I wouldn't be without my WoodRat. Well, unless I can replace it with something better. The only thing I've seen so far that promises to be better is the Boss. I guess we'll see.

Back