Woodrat - UK or Canada purchase?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humanfish

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I've been thinking of buying a Woodrat for the last month or so and was planning on doing so at the IWE at ally pally next month. However, after some general perusing of the Lee Valley site i've found they sell the woodrat and it's important add ons at what works at to be a much better price than over here.

Shopping Cart Price Qty Total Move Item Modify Remove
WoodRat Joinery Machine WoodRat Joinery Machine
Item 17N1301
In Stock
$749.00 1 $749.00

Update Item
Set of 7 WoodRat Bits Set of 7 WoodRat Bits
Item 17N1330
In Stock
$209.00 1 $209.00

Update Item
Plunge Bar B Plunge Bar B
Item 17N1311
In Stock
$41.50 1 $41.50

Update Item

Total: $999.50 Canadian dollars
Home Clear Cart Continue Shopping

With a rough coversion i think it works out about £439 compared to £530 over here. I have a couple of aunts and uncles in various parts of Canada so i was thinking i could buy it, have it sent to their domestic address who could then send it on to me.
Do you think the saving is worth it and do you think this would get around any import taxes doing it this way.
I don't mind buying it over here but hell if the machine is exactly the same and not any different in north america i figure why not try and make a saving. I can than put the extra money towards a 1/2" router.

Do you think it's a worth while plan?

regards
b_h

Don't forget that depending upon the Province you ship to, there's going to be additional Tax of between 6 and 14%, plus it's almost guaranteed that with something of that size and weight you will be hit with Duty and VAT on top of that!

In other words you'll be paying Taxes from both countries and then quite significant shipping charges and Duty in addition. I'd say you will almost certainly end up paying MORE by buying it from Canada.

I thought the idea of getting the US/Canadian relative to buy then post was a way of getting round VAT/DUTY as the relative could just send it on as a gift

It 'may' work for smaller items - but there's a limit to gifts of £36 (including shipping costs) and I doubt the size and weight of a WoodRat would sneak through on that one! If (probably when) they opened it, there would almost certainly be a penalty in addition. It just isn't worth it for something that size and value ........

I think in theory it sounds a good idea but i think your probably right ploget in that the size of the woodrat package would be prohibitive in not incurring any other extra costs other than basic postage. It would probably end up being around the rrp price of over here.
Oh well, hopefully they might have some money off at the Ally Pally show [-o< not likely, not many do

I've abosolutely no idea if this is possible, but do you think woodrat themselves have any seconds? Ex display models? A quick call wouldn't break the bank.

Adam

Adam":2yqjzmb0 said:
I've abosolutely no idea if this is possible, but do you think woodrat themselves have any seconds? Ex display models? A quick call wouldn't break the bank.

Adam

I think some one did get one on here but I cant remember who :roll:

I got one off woodrat direct .......... it was with a discount of 10%ish as a seconds

In all honesty I couldn't find a single fault cosmetic or otherwise with my machine

It was an offer on thier website several month ago

Ian

I managed to bag meself the woodrat ploget put me onto off of ebay. It was indeed martin godfrey selling. I managed to get it for the sum of £401 including the postage. I've got a 28 day return option if i'm not happy with the 'blemish'. Should be here tommorow, i'll have to find somewhere to rig it up. very exciting

Latest posts

Back