Woodlathe for bench use

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanglefoot20

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all.
I am looking to upgrade my old single pole type bed lathe to something a bit better....I have looked at Axminster and some of the reviews horrify me.....so I looked at the record power types.....of which the £600 one looked good.....
Has anyone had experience of these lathes.....or are there any recomendations.....

Steve

What Record jobbies have you looked at.
Hi john.....I have been looking at the dml320.....but have glanced at the others too. I’m not really sure on the Axminster stuff....,,Chinese?....and Rutlands are starting to seem like a b and q.....with another Axminster looking lathe.

Steve

I bought the DML 305 earlier this year. It's not exactly the same (not variable speed) but I'd guess the basic bits are! I would describe it as good value for money but not a good lathe. Built to a price. The construction accuracy is dreadful. It needed new bearings pretty much straight out of the box (under warranty.... never had a problem with bearings before, sir). The tailstock is is not in line with the headstock throughout all of it's travel. Other than the motor there's not a bit that I haven't taken apart and tried to clean/adjust/improve. As an example the "Teeth" in the indexing ring inside the headstock are 1/4". The peg that drops into these teeth is 6mm and well chamfered. "Slop" doesn't begin to describe it. I had a complete new peg /body made up with 1/4" peg. I'm a beginner, so my skill, not the lathe is the governing factor, so I shall persevere! I am looking at the KS Midi Pro, but it's £1200.......I suspect you get what you pay for

What are you wanting to turn, bowls or long stuff?
I am turning long type things....5” up to 10” but I’d like to have spare room just case...bowl turning would maybe up to 10” diameter....
I’m now a bit weary after reading the other comment on the dimly 305

I would have a look at the Axminster 1416vs. Do ask for feedback from users, because I haven't used it but it would be on my shortlist. used, it should be within budget. it may have been renamed and available new, but I imagine that will be a chunk more than what you are looking at.

I would have a look at the Axminster 1416vs. Do ask for feedback from users, because I haven't used it but it would be on my shortlist. used, it should be within budget. it may have been renamed and available new, but I imagine that will be a chunk more than what you are looking at.
Thanks for that info...I will take a look....mind you by looking at most of lathes available some look very similar to each other....that’s what makes me wonder if there all Chinese.....?....

Thanks for that info...I will take a look....mind you by looking at most of lathes available some look very similar to each other....that’s what makes me wonder if there all Chinese.....?....

Many are. Not necessarily a bad thing

At £600 they are highly likey to be chinese or taiwanese in origin.

To be fair you can get made-in-europe and made-in-USA/Canada lathes, but they cost an appropriate amount. E.g a Wadkin lathe was ~£928 in 1979, which is £3,600 today.

Hi all.
I suppose if distributors are in this country.... there always on the end of a phone...hopefully.
I read comments and some are right disasters ... according to owners..I do wonder if some people are a bit slow...companies cannot be selling total rubbish....can they?

If bench mounting is critical I’d have a nose at the FU350 from Simon Hope, which is the same as the AT350 from Axminster but for £850 rather than £1000. The extension bed gives you the extra reach for spindle work. The Record Herald is probably worth a look too?

I don’t see what the midi pro brings to the table and would favour the jump to the Twister 180, but it’s the same capacity over the bed as the FU350 so without the legs and extension bed, you’re not gaining capacity/making use of the more powerful motor. Record now have a coronet model that sits at this price point but I’ve not seen much feedback. The little Laguna, fully kitted out, might be worth a nose too?

The next jump is the Axminster AT406, which I gather is a Twister 200 (no longer sold). Again, record have their coronet model sitting at this price point too.

Latest posts

Back