Woodfast C1000 Lathe Info and photos ( SOLD )

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Start with the photos :lol:

IMG_0075.jpg

The bits that come with it

IMG_0076-1.jpg

4 prong drive center , and a rotary tail stock center both 2 MT

IMG_0077.jpg

2 MT Jacobs chuck and key

IMG_0078.jpg

Face plate M33x3.5 , it also has a screw in face plate screw ( With a box spanner to tighten and remove )

IMG_0079.jpg

Main shaft spanner

IMG_0080.jpg

Knock out bar and socket spanner to turn the headstock through 30 / 90 degrees

IMG_0084.jpg

The tool rest assembly

IMG_0085.jpg

The Tail stock

IMG_0086.jpg

1. 12" tool rest

1 Bowl turning tool rest

IMG_0090.jpg

Main control box , with on / off / and speed control

IMG_0091.jpg

The inverter box of tricks

IMG_0087.jpg

The POWER department ( its huge )

IMG_0088.jpg

The drive system , more torque / less torque with variable speed at all settings :D

IMG_0089.jpg

24 point indexing and spindle lock / M33 x 3.5 spindle thread

IMG_0092-1.jpg

Name :wink:

IMG_0081.jpg

22 page instruction book

IMG_0083.jpg

Inverter book

IMG_0082.jpg

Motor connection book

IMG_0093.jpg

And a shot of the bed so you can see how thick the castings are

The bolt holes for mounting the lathe bed are 5/8"

All yours for £750

What size is the motor and how old is the machine, as the newer ones are yellow and your other was white!

Cheers PHIL

Older is no bad thing. You can clearly see from the pics that this was made in Oz. The current ones are made in China.

oh and seeing as the motor manual says 1500, my guess is it's 2hp 8)

philb88":m8bmn3ji said:
What size is the motor and how old is the machine, as the newer ones are yellow and your other was white!

Cheers PHIL

Not sure of the age , but in the serial number stamped into the bed the last 2 numbers are 98 . so I would say 1998 , its had 1 owner who estimated no more than 100 hours use and as it a brush less motor its far from worn out

Its whisper quiet , weight a tone , in mint condition NO RUST or tarnish or splashes of sanding sealer , it is VERY clean

The originals were green , then woodfast changed to cream , Yellow

and currently Record Power sell them as the Maxi 1 for £2K

Motor power is 1KW so in English 1.5HP , its a BIG motor :lol: 8)

In the book of words it say it has a adjustable ranp speed to limmit the motors acceleration and current limmit / cut out

It also has a thermal trip

And 2 LEDs that do fault codes if it detects anything wrong :shock:

Cant find a section where it says it makes the tea :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

As some here might know, I bough the other Woodfast lathe that Blister sold on here, and to say that it's a heavywieght is an understatement. I've given the lathe a bit of a test over the last few weeks, and it's taken everything I've thrown at it (18" out of balance blanks etc.) in it's stride.

If anybody's in any doubt whetehr or not they should buy this machine, then my advice would be to BUY IT!! it really is the dogs danglies.

Cheers

Aled

Swivel head? Also does it have the holes under the the pulley/head to take the outrigger or bowl turning attachment?

Don't happen to have anymore short-beds do you? haha

philb88":2xf2ta0c said:
Swivel head? Also does it have the holes under the the pulley/head to take the outrigger or bowl turning attachment?

Don't happen to have anymore short-beds do you? haha

The head turns to 30 / and 90 , and locks into pre drilled holes in the bed

No i cant help with a outside adapter :wink:

What is it about a lathe like this that makes it £2k new as opposed to something like the Jet 1442 which on paper seems to have a similar spec?

I am not being facetious, I am genually trying to understand what separates a £850 lathe from a £2,000 lathe. Is it that the law of diminishing returns means that once you get to a certain point the extra bit costs significantly more, or is the Woodfast/Maxi-1 really twice as good as the Jet?

frugal":2b8zqwjy said:
What is it about a lathe like this that makes it £2k new as opposed to something like the Jet 1442 which on paper seems to have a similar spec?

I am not being facetious, I am genually trying to understand what separates a £850 lathe from a £2,000 lathe. Is it that the law of diminishing returns means that once you get to a certain point the extra bit costs significantly more, or is the Woodfast/Maxi-1 really twice as good as the Jet?

Sorry I cant comment on the bigger Jet lathes as I have not owned or used one

I did however have the misfortune to buy a Jet mini in my early days of turning , and all i can say is I was less than impressed , It shook , rattled and the head and tail stocks did not line up :? I had to strip it file it tighten all the loose bits put new bearings in locktite everything and in the end sold it for something better

I also had problems with my 1st Jet JPT260 , it had to go back and was swapped for another machine , so again loss of confidence in Jet products

Question , are they made in china ?

Quality is quality and costs , but with cheaper MODERN machines , most are designed by accountants , I think the saying goes something like this

" Built to a price , not a standard " unless we are Talking VB36, Vicmarc and the other top makes like Woodfast ,

This is only my opinion , as we are all entitled to one , so please don't shoot me down :p :lol: :wink:

Quality is quality and costs , but with cheaper MODERN machines , most are designed by accountants , I think the saying goes something like this

" Built to a price , not a standard " unless we are Talking VB36, Vicmarc and the other top makes like Woodfast ,

I have to agree with Blister. Newer is not always a good buy. I have a 1987 M400 Woodfast. Runs very well and is built like a tank I have changed the 1/2hp motor to a 1hp and will be giving it a coat of paint. Better than new
:D

What a beauty, this is the lathe I was going to buy back in 2001, but then Woodfast went out of busuiness.
I bought a Wivamac DB1000 instead, which i don't regret, but I still have a soft spot for the C1000. A pity I don't have the space for a second lathe.

Hans

Come on, fess up. Who is the new owner of that beauty? :D

wizer":1fw4wcf4 said:
Come on, fess up. Who is the new owner of that beauty? :D

A Ha :lol:

Curiosity got the better A :lol: :lol:

Well

If

I

Was

to

say

that

the new

owner

of this

Cast

iron

Beauty

Is

No

other

than

Mr

HOLD ON :shock:

I

Will let the new owner fess up , don't want spoil his glory :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Replaced? Nah, I though the BRM needed a BG Mate ;)

Back