Wooden rebate plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob1713

Established Member
Reaction score
Could anybody give me any info about this rebate plane that was in a job lot of woodworking tools that I recently bought.
I can't see any makers name on it but there are 2 previous owners stamps on it. Does anyone have any information regarding maker, age etc

Thanks
Rob

wood rebate side.jpg

wood rebate top.jpg

wood rebate bottom.jpg

wood rebate bottom 2.jpg

DSCF0034.JPG

Attachments

• wood rebate side.jpg
    wood rebate side.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 729
  • wood rebate top.jpg
    wood rebate top.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 729
  • wood rebate bottom.jpg
    wood rebate bottom.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 729
  • wood rebate bottom 2.jpg
    wood rebate bottom 2.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 729
  • DSCF0034.JPG
    DSCF0034.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 729
Rob, it's a moving filletster. British Planemakers put George Davis in Birmingham between 1821 and 1876 and list them as common. Looks in good nick; one to put to work and enjoy, I reckon.

I struggle a bit getting these wooden planes to work properly, Ive had a bit of a try to get it to work but I think it has earned the right to enjoy its retirement without some ham fisted clutz trying to force it back to work :?
Thanks for the identification though Alf
Rob

Rob, have another go!

The most it will need is the blade sharpening - and every woodworker has to sharpen tools. Use a small mallet to knock the wedge in not quite tight, try it, gently tap on the blade till it just cuts, then knock the wedge in tight.
The fence gives you the width of your rebate from the edge of the wood, the depth stock gives you the depth.

The nicker at the front is for cross grain work, so may be best ignored till you have got the feel of it.

Useful videos easily found.

Back