Wooden jaws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goulss

Established Member
Reaction score
On the trip to Axminster yesterday I bought a Clubman chuck and some wood jaw plates specifically for bowl finishing etc.

Has anyone any tips on making up the wooden sections, I.e. do you fasten the metal plates on and then bandsaw them into the 4 sections (leaving a gap for the blade of course) or cut the wood first and then fix the jaws?

If intending to use wood jaws in 'Cole Jaw compression Mode' I use good quality birch ply, 10mm or above in thickness.
1. Cut into four separate squares before fixing to metal accessory jaws.
2. Run on lathe and true up periphery and mark a series of concentric circles with pencil or pointy tool to aid subsequent fixings.
3. Fix any sacrificial wood blocks to this ply backing for profiling on the lathe to suit job in hand.

I have a set which, I must admit I don't use much, but they can be very useful at times for holding odd shaped or sized bits. Remember, the end result doesn't need to be pretty, it just needs to work! I turn a disc, usually in 2" softwood, then draw around each quadrant and bandsaw them, a little undersized is best so the jaws can close fully. Screw them on and true up, you are then ready to shape them as you need them.

HTH

Richard

This is one set I used regularly for gripping the inside of my little boxes when reversing them.
DSCN3646 (Large).JPG

Attachments

• DSCN3646 (Large).JPG
    DSCN3646 (Large).JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 752
I didn't know about these ( there are a lot of things I don't know about ) Very clever idea Chas.

Seeing the picture I am wondering. Would it be possible to do something similar using a set of cole jaws as the base? The advantage is the jaws already have a set of evenly and accurately spaced threaded holes for fixing the wooden jaws to

procell":3hsg2qbe said:
Seeing the picture I am wondering. Would it be possible to do something similar using a set of cole jaws as the base? The advantage is the jaws already have a set of evenly and accurately spaced threaded holes for fixing the wooden jaws to

I use these mounted on my old home made Cole jaws.
DSCN4212L.jpg

But for someone who doesn't have the cash for Cole jaws the wood jaw plates together with some scrap plywood are a cheaper option.

Standard Cole jaws don't have fixing holes near the central area suitable for internal jaws.
DSCN3833L.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN4212L.jpg
    DSCN4212L.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 649
  • DSCN3833L.JPG
    DSCN3833L.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 649
Back