Wooden Handles...Plastic Handles...but which is best...?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have sets of what I consider to be nice chisels (all wooden handles) LN, AI, I Sorby, are supposed to be for joinery/furniture use in the workshop.
I have marples split proof for site use. When I started wanting to take the nice chisels to customers houses, not because the marples did not perform in soft wood/uk hardwoods but because the others looked nicer and felt nicer to use.
I bought a set of AI firmers to try and possess cake and consume.

However I then had to create a new tool use category, which was too nice to use in the rain, not for wood containing nails, fixings etc

I now have at least three sets in the van at all time,s each with different applications, right down to a set of Ansell cold style chisels for minor demolition use.

Now about that slope thing.... :lol: ]

I have never split or badly chipped a chisel handle plastic or wood regardless of the striking objects used.
Wooden mallet great, club hammer no probs, plastic mallet fine, claw hammer, if I'm paying attention fine. Its usually my knuckles if I'm not paying attention not the tools handle that gets damaged using the latter. Palm of hand fine, just be sensible and don't try to chop a mortice :lol:

If you understand the principle of using a wedged shaped cutting edge, i.e using relief cuts rather than banging away until subsidence of the building your working in becomes an issue, I think in my humble opinion chisel handles come down to shape first, weight next, then how they feel to you and what works for one may not for another.

Now the different sharpening techniques/mediums of different uses of each set of chisels, that a whole other disscussion :twisted:

Back