wooden hand screw clamps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donwatson

Established Member
Reaction score
Is there a maker in this country or do I have to buy from amazon.com and pay all sorts of money for Irwin or Bessey products.
Does the DIY outlets like Jewson and Wickes supply these types of clamps ? Can anyone help ?

take care
Don W

They're not hard to make. Either an old screw box or one of the world wide Chinese ones, and offcuts of your choice.

AndyT":3f19hpiz said:
They're not hard to make. Either an old screw box or one of the world wide Chinese ones, and offcuts of your choice.

If you have RH and LH taps and dies..

Most of mine came out of the skip at work :D

Pete

The wooden ones use a slightly different configuration and only need right hand threads.
I've posted pictures before. Will try to find them.

Clamps such as Bessey etc can be found at Scott & Sergeant, Horsham, Surrey. They are the cheapest that I have found. They advertise them on eBay. The clamp with 600mm jaws are £16.80 each.

Also if you look on YouTube there are many videos showing you how to make the old fashioned wooden clamps.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the information chaps. I have had a look around.
I can't find them on the Scott and Sergeant website.
Haven't tried ebay yet (I will this evening)
I called www.bessey.co.uk yesterday and asked for a pair of Bessey LHS-10 Wood Screw Clamps.
The lady said she couldn't see them in the catalogue, I said that I couldn't see them in the catalogue either and that was why I had 'phoned.
She asked for a few minutes and she would call back, I said OK. After just a couple of minutes she called back and said nobody in the office had heard of them and where did I get the number ?? I told her they were for sale on Amazon but only from the USA. It was now after 5 o'clock and she said she would investigate and call me in the morning.
She called this morning to say they were only available in the good ol' US of A.
I feel quite let down and will go and sit in a dark room for a while, this world never ceases to amaze me.

I bought a pair from Dieter Schmid or that other German retailer. I was surprised very reasonable price inc post and top quality too.

Back