Wooden buttons or metal fig 8 brackets for table top?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJC

Established Member
Reaction score
In this case for a small side table, any significant pros and cons between the 2?

Do the rules change for larger tables?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Fasteners1.jpg
    Fasteners1.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 42
Wooden buttons surely if it's a work of art?!

Otherwise steel angle plates if it's quick and dirty.

A buscuit joiner would be ideal for the bottom cut outs btw.

Cheers James

I would suggest that using figure of eight metal bits like that is going to cause problems if the tabletop moves, which it will and is why we don’t just screw everything together. Wooden buttons are fitted with this in mind, are the way to go in my opinion. Ian

I would suggest that using figure of eight metal bits like that is going to cause problems if the tabletop moves, which it will and is why we don’t just screw everything together.

I understood that the plates do allow some movement, assuming they have the clearance? Less so than buttons perhaps?

Hi TJC, obviously it depends on the width of the top that you are attempting to control, I don’t think those figure of eights will give you much leeway at all, probably best to stick with the buttons, to my knowledge they were in use from Victorian times. They do what we want them to do which is hold the top down onto the frame and give it plenty of leeway to move wherever it wants to. Easy to make, easy to fit, no problem. Ian

Can you get the figure of 8's here? They have a use but I couldn't get them when I looked.

What wood would you use to make buttons.

Any hardwood you have hanging around.

What about pine furniture hardwood too?

Size 1/4" tongue 1/2 deep 1" width 1 1/2 long???

Cheers James

I'm going to play the devil's advocate here (I've always used wooden buttons but I do have a packet of these squirreled away) and throw in the Izzy Swan "skirt washers" as they do look a great idea - if only for lighter pieces:

Wood Workers Workshop sell them in the UK here.

Buttons as I can make them from offcuts, and as others have said they scream 'I'm hand made, respect me and love me'.

F.

Back