Wooden Air (Vacuum) Engine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NazNomad

Established Member
Reaction score
I've watched several YouTube videos about these engine. Most notably, the ones by Matthias Wandel and Bruce Yeany

Several screenshots later and I almost had an idea WTF I needed to do to make it work.

vacuum-engine.gif

No plywood in this one, all recycled hardwoods - Oak, Walnut and some unknown wood, probably something that would make CITES nauseous.

Powered with the suckiness (?) of an old Vax vacuum cleaner.

[youtube]n3iDbh4RZkA[/youtube]

That's amazing! I want one in my life lol

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Nicely done!

If you stuck it on Ebay with an accidental on purpose omission of one letter 'o' from the word 'Wooden' you could make a fortune... :lol:

With a normal hardwood I suppose the bearings wouldn't last awfully long in heavy use without frequent lubrication? It's a fascinating project and fun to watch too.

NickN":1vm9olqi said:
With a normal hardwood I suppose the bearings wouldn't last awfully long in heavy use without frequent lubrication?

There's a small 'oil pot' in the top of each axle support (the big countersunk hole) which drip feeds the axle through a 2mm hole. The rest just needs a drop of oil now and then.

Naz is now working on scaling it up for motorised vehicles, first hurdle though, does anybody know where to get a 20 mile extension cable from for the vacuum cleaner?

very good, nice shuttle valve, I'm always fascinated by the reciprocating nature of these things and could spend hours stood just watching them, bit like a mechanical loom in that respect.

novocaine":2bwxajk9 said:
Naz is now working on scaling it up for motorised vehicles, first hurdle though, does anybody know where to get a 20 mile extension cable from for the vacuum cleaner?

I was thinking of inventing a perpetual motion machine and powering the vacuum cleaner from the air engine using a small generator.

Back