woodcraft weekend

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianedge

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just returned from a day at the woodcraft weekend at the botanic gardens wales where I took my 13 year old daughter who chose a lathe for her Christmas present, we were warmly welcomed by the exhibitors and given loads of useful info which was great for her, we picked up some timber blanks because we are no where near any suppliers that I can find so it will involve some travelling or carriage charges and if the inspiration she got today is anything to go by it could mean a lot of timber, There were a couple of stands selling tools OMG you need deep pockets for that sort of shopping so thank god for ebay, next thing on shopping the list is a good sharpening set up I am sure it will save on sandpaper in the long run

Turning tools, .... buy carefully most turners have three or four "go to"tools that jump into the hand, and quite often a box full of novelty tools seldom used. Take care that you don't fall into the tool makers advertising trap.
Good luck to your daughter, I hope she is soon turning (sorry) out a succession of pens bowls and candlesticks.

Try Travis Perkins in lampeter, ask them for hardwoods. Get them to cut it for you if you don't have the means,

that will save a lot of post charges.

Most turners make most of their own blanks and it will save you a shedload of cash! (hammer) (hammer)

John. B

You could also try contacting the parks department at your local council. My local one was extremely helpful and as you will see from a recent post I have the pick of a huge selection of logs. The downside is most of it is still green wood so will need seasoning but as its free I can wait.

I wish your daughter all the best in her new hobby and look forward to seeing some of her finished pieces.
Any questions you have just post them to this site and the great members will flood you with answers.

Welcome :)

Not quite local for you but on the way to civilisation is Timberman in Bronwydd just outside Carmarthen. He keeps a small selection of blanks there hidden in the back room, mostly local ash yew oak sycamore beech box lime etc with the odd bit of sapele or walnut every now and then. Worth a five minute detour if you're passing Glangwili.

John. B":1rqj680h said:
Try Travis Perkins in lampeter, ask them for hardwoods. Get them to cut it for you if you don't have the means,

that will save a lot of post charges.

Most turners make most of their own blanks and it will save you a shedload of cash! (hammer) (hammer)

John. B
Hi there John. b I have asked in Travis Perkins but they don't have any hardwoods at all , may try Jewsons next time I am near but never really liked their prices

woodndrum":a5od552l said:
Turning tools, .... buy carefully most turners have three or four "go to"tools that jump into the hand, and quite often a box full of novelty tools seldom used. Take care that you don't fall into the tool makers advertising trap.
Good luck to your daughter, I hope she is soon turning (sorry) out a succession of pens bowls and candlesticks.
Hi there Keith , I was thinking about a carbide cutter as she would like to do some lidded boxes and they seem to be just the job, what do you think?

If you are after a sharpening system ….. I have a Record 8inch grinder and Woodfast Trucut (or is it Woodcut Trugrind?) set up available. It is on the great auction site that shall not be named but I am open to a reasonable offer!
Not got to putting it up for sale here yet as I need a few more posts to be trusted!

procell":19ukmdo6 said:
You could also try contacting the parks department at your local council. My local one was extremely helpful and as you will see from a recent post I have the pick of a huge selection of logs. The downside is most of it is still green wood so will need seasoning but as its free I can wait.

I wish your daughter all the best in her new hobby and look forward to seeing some of her finished pieces.
Any questions you have just post them to this site and the great members will flood you with answers.
Hi there procell we have quite a good supply of green timber because my brother has just bought a smallholding with very overgrown hedges so lots of hawthorn , blackthorn, smallish ash, but he also has 1.5 acre of woodland with some bigger ash , oak, sycamore so will be having a day in there soon with the chainsaw, she like turning the green stuff but not got the patience to let it dry yet

nev":1qr6ftvb said:
Welcome :)

Not quite local for you but on the way to civilisation is Timberman in Bronwydd just outside Carmarthen. He keeps a small selection of blanks there hidden in the back room, mostly local ash yew oak sycamore beech box lime etc with the odd bit of sapele or walnut every now and then. Worth a five minute detour if you're passing Glangwili.
thanks for that , I will try timberman Nev, I saw them yesterday but didn't get a chance to ask about timber as they were very busy

Spadger":3pyasqx9 said:
If you are after a sharpening system ….. I have a Record 8inch grinder and Woodfast Trucut (or is it Woodcut Trugrind?) set up available. It is on the great auction site that shall not be named but I am open to a reasonable offer!
Not got to putting it up for sale here yet as I need a few more posts to be trusted!
Thanks Spadger I will have to talk to her indoors, we have a bench grinder but not sure about getting a jig or a dedicated sharpening set up like the sorby belt one

I just got back from the show and I was quite pleased with what was there today!

I have been for the past three years and I have to say that the first one that I went to was by far the best. Last year's was ok, this year's was better as there were a few more trade stands selling tools etc.

Ian - Turning tools are pretty pricey if you are buying new, my advice would be to get on ebay and keep an eye out. As a starter set I would be looking to get:

- A roughing gouge (3/4")
- A spindle gouge (3/8")
- A bowl gouge either 3/8" or 1/2" although 1/2 may be too big to get to grips with.
- A skew chisel (3/4" oval skew)
- A parting tool (1/4")

You could get a few other tools but in all honesty these are the ones that are used most often. As a rough price too, you will be looking at around £15 each on ebay. Brand new they will be around £30 each. Another place to try is Rutlands, they have a few on 'sale' at the moment.

I may have a few chisels surplus to requirements which you are more than welcome to purchase if you like? I will have to have a dig through them all to make sure what is there. Just let me know via pm if you are interested.

Also with regards to a sharpening system, have a look on youtube, search sharpening jig and you will see a nice little one by the 'teenwoodworker' or Alex Harris as he also goes by.

This set of chisels may be worth keeping an eye on
ebay.co.uk/itm/A-Boxed-Set-of-6-Vintage-Lathe-Turning-Wood-Chisels-/121257725035?pt=UK_Collectable_ToolsHasdware_RL&hash=item1c3b860c6b

Back