Wood suitable for shower head mounting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Serge

Reaction score
I am redoing the bathroom at the moment, and i am using a plastic waterproof cladding on the walls, anyway i need to mount a standard shower rose to the wall but don`t really want to drill through the plastic, so thought, lets stick some wood to the plastic and then you can happily screw the shower atchement to that, but whats a good suitable wood for damp conditions? something naturally rot resistant to a degree

I wouldn't be too keen on relying on a glue fixing of wood to plastic to hold up something heavy in a damp environment - the most suitable timbers eg teak tend to be naturally a bit oily and consequently don't glue well.

I would use rubber washers between the fixing and the plastic and not be too lighthanded with silicon sealant.

Cheers

Tim

I'm sure it used to be Beech that was used in wet situations.

Whilst I also agree with Tim about using washers, "Sticks Like S*hit" would probably hold it up - and is designed to be used in wet places.

woody

Don't use beech its a perishable hardwood (unless you want the spalted look :lol: ), If you must use wood then an oily one like teak or Iroko will be best.

Personally whenever I'm fitting things to the walls of showers which I always apply tanking to before tiling I just squirt some silicon into and around the screw hole before fixing the item. A shower head and hose can weigh quite a bit when foll of water and as the holders usually have a friction ball joint get pulled on when people adjust the shower.

Jason

Back