Wood stabiliser resin

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren B

Reaction score
Hello guys.

Anyone know what wood stabiliser is best for burrs and soft corking spalted wood Etc. I’ve seen a brand called cactus juice, which is heat activated. It’s flaming expensive here in Blighty compared to the US. Might change after bexit :D .

I’m currently speaking to Terry at chestnut products limited. I’m pleased with their products in general. I’ve asked him about a stabiliser, so they may get something in their stock line in the future depending on demand. Just putting out feelers and or recommendations.

Cheers

Pentacryl might be what you're seeking, or maybe Polyethylene glycol (PEG). Pentacryl, as far as I'm aware, presents fewer wood finishing challenges compared to PEG assuming, that is, you're going to put a finish on your completed item(s). Slainte.

Richard's suggestion above looks good, but if it is the stabilising in a chamber you were thinking of then the only alternative to cactus juice i've found readily available from the UK is 'Stick Fast' resin found at turner's retreat...
https://www.turners-retreat.co.uk/stabi ... alyst/p770
...but is still pretty expensive!

I recently bought 1/2 gallon of cactus juice from metal clay...
http://www.metalclay.co.uk/stabilising- ... &brand=243
...which was an ok price, and i've only used it to 'completion' on one blank so far and have found that it worked perfectly :D I've currently got a purple dyed blank of oak burr soaking having finished pulling all of the air out in the vacuum chamber i've made. Although expensive, I think it's great stuff! It's over doubled the weight of the first blank I've stabilised, and that blank also had incredibly 'punky' bits in it, soft enough to just pick it all away with light pressure with my finger, but since stabilising it is rock solid.

Latest posts

Back