Wood Purchase

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snetty

Established Member
Reaction score
I've heard that you can order timber pre-cut to the dimensions/specifications that you require. As I've just moved to an Apartment with no room for tools this is a pretty attractive option for me.

Can anyone point me to a company that offers these sorts of services in the UK (north preferably)?

how far north ?

maybe a close forum member might be willing to help dimension some timber for you ?

Honestly it would involve doing all the shaping, biscuit holes, dado's etc, pretty much everything I can't do with the few hand tools I have.

It'd be a bit much to ask someone I don't know to help out with basically making the entire thing (minus some gluing and screwing) for me.

I was under the impression that this is something that is fairly common for timber merchants to offer as a service (for fee ofc).

To answer your question though, Bolton.

Snetty":19hc724s said:
Honestly it would involve doing all the shaping, biscuit holes, dado's etc, pretty much everything I can't do with the few hand tools I have.

but that isn't what you asked in your 1st post !

most woodyards I know will cut for you, but they charge per cut.

Snetty":6hjhwm2m said:

if this is wat you want then try ikea / mfi ! LOL sorry , couldn't resist !

coat

door

At this stage I have to wonder why you're even responding, because it's certainly not to be helpful.

Anyway.. I'll be a bit more specific about my needs.

I'm looking to make some relatively simple (in terms of carpentry skill) bedroom furniture. I'm not keen on purchasing it because I don't want some flatpack rubbish but my funds (I've just moved into my first place) won't allow me to be splash out on expensive real-wood furniture.

I'm a big fan of Norm Abram's NY Workshop (i'll take it as a given that there's a fair few fans on this forum), and have some experience with DIY/Carpentry and with the right kit I could make something simple yet classy. My problem is that although I could justify forking out for a good table saw, biscuit joiner etc, my new place doesn't have the room for even the most modest tools.

I'd heard through various other forums/tv programs that there are companies that will cut wood to order per your specifications, even to such an extent as cutting dado's for shelving, etc. So a tad more than I would expect your average Timber Merchants to offer as a service. Anyway, I figured this would be a good solution for me as I could get something bespoke at a reasonable price.

So, my question stands, anyone heard of a company that does this?

i think it's be very unlikely or very expensive to expect a woodyard to cut your joints. You will get them to size and dimension your timber at a cost. If you can't do any of the joint work yourself, then it might be better to commission a maker to complete the work for you.

OOI What are you planning to make?

If you are working with boards (Ply / MDF) then what about using Pocket screws? All you need is a drill and the Kreg Jig. I have been playing around with it and for basic furniture it's quite good. You can buy plugs to cover the holes if they will be exposed.

WiZeR":3199k0sh said:
If you are working with boards (Ply / MDF) then what about using Pocket screws? All you need is a drill and the Kreg Jig. I have been playing around with it and for basic furniture it's quite good. You can buy plugs to cover the holes if they will be exposed.

Mm, yes that is an option I hadn't considered. That would cut down on the complexity of the project considerably. I'll give it some thought.

sorry you didn't get my sense of hunour.
I'll be more serious now - primise :)

I am too a big fan of Norm

I have also worked in my dining room at one time as that is all the space I had.

places like B&q will cut to size, some woodyards will do a few cuts for free so you can get it in your car to get home.

I used a black and decker workmate with a circular saw screwed to a piece of plywood as my table saw.

with the fence on my router I clamped the fence in the workmate and had an overhead table router.

a biscuit jointer can be had for less than £50 these days, but I used to use a hand power drill and dowels.

a jig saw is your band saw etc etc

its all doable with not much stuff and space, just a little thinking is involved. straight edges and jigs can turn hand power tools into very versatile machines !

as for forum members - you may be surprised at how helpfull some will be.

a lot are retired and working for pleasure, and so the work and the company of someone with similar interests is enjoyable.

Normally I'd agree with Tusses, but if you're in an Apartment (not on ground floor?) then you're going to have to either create some serious dust inside the home (not ideal) or lug tools down to the car park (not ideal). At least with pocket screws, the dust is quite big and can be swept up easier than that from a router or BJ.

Having boards cut at B&Q is an option, but I have found it frustrating. It depends on the attendant you get and how long since the saw was setup for accuracy. I think someone mentioned once that the makers of the B&Q wall saw, periodically come back to re-align. In my recent experience it was out by about 8mm. Lucky for me it was Plus 8mm :roll:

if you ask B&Q to cut 600mm of a panel, and they cut 594mm off, they WILL take it back and do it again ! as long as you have proof that is waht you asked for.

best to take a cutting list and a tape measure with you, and measure it before you leave !

as for the dust - a small shop vac will come in very handy and not take up much space.

personally - I just swept up with a dust pan and brush and then hoovered.

but this was before I was married ! LOL !

My apologies for being oversensitive there Tussess, I guess I regarded your posts at laughing at me, which I kinda object to from people I don't know. I of course appreciate the advice.

So.. bedroom furniture is going to be pretty much all the same widths, so if I had it all cut to the required widths in B&Q and then cut to length at home with a circular saw, a square and a straight edge, I wouldn't need to worry about the machine being off. That deals with the cutting rather nicely.

I was thinking that the pocket screws idea would work nicely, but thinking about it, I'm going to need a rebate for the back of the wardrobe anyway, so a cheapy router might be a worthwhile investment afterall.

I guess I need to do some serious planning on the design now. Thanks for the encouragement and advice chaps, much appreciated.

dont forget the good old plastic screw block / corner block for shelves. most people would not even think twice because ther are used to seeing them.

as for the back - no real need for a rebate - the same structural strenght is there if you glue and nail it straight on the back !

if you cut the bottom out to fit the skirting board then caulk round the outside of any fitted wardrobes etc no one is any the wizer !

built in stuff is a doddle really !

If your strapped for cash,and want some nice stuff why not buy second hand furniture and refinish?? A piece of sand paper and your elbow grease,the piece will look like new,after that is you put on the finish,so some sandpaper,a block of wood to wrap the sandpaper around and some finish with a brush and your off the hook for big tools.An its cheap too...

Grinding one has a good point, you can get top quality joinery for pipper-all on ebay or out of the local rag. AND also--hand tools. Good old fashioned planes and stuff. Not necessarily old planes, but planes afew years old go for nothing, and you can do most of your rabbeting, grooving etc with the smallest amount of fine dust, virtually no real noise, with just a small box of tools.

Just a thought that I like to bang on about, but everybody (Including myself) always talks power tools with barely a mention of trad tools. Time is always a factor if your working wood for a living, but if your not and its for pleasure, hand tools can be an absolute boon.

Most of my hand planes I have bought second hand, and they have served me well for years with a modicum of outlay. Read some of david Charlesworth's stuff on hand tools and you'll get my point. (he is an author dedicated to the usage and furtherance of traditionel and modern woodworking techniques, the fine tuning of hand tools, and the thought process that goes into woodworking- it's a bit Zen actually. I lent my copy to someone and never got it back!!) David 'C' is a forum member and has a good website to give you an idea

Right , that's my soap box moment over for today, :wink:
A la prochaine,

Decklan

...or alternatively, forget the hand tools and get something like ebay link

I know someone who's got one, and it's apparantly small but effective (fnar fnar) and with the dust extractor it sounds like a good deal.It's got everything you need-spindle moulder, saw planer-thicknesser-and it's all diddy.Perfect.

Decklan

Latest posts

Back