wood prices

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bofh

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all, up until now I've been raiding skips and my local traiding estates for pallets and any half decent wood I can clean up for use.

Obviously this limits what I can make, I've been asked to make some shotgun racks recenty and I'm struggling as firstly I can't garenty what I'm going to find and also the quality of the wood is poor and usually cracks.

So I've been thinking about popping down to my local wood yard and thought I'd ask you chaps for a rough idea on prices. I'm happy to use Pine although it would be handy to buy plained. The lenghts I need are as follows;

2x2.5m 3"x2" and 1x2.5m 6"x3/4"

A genral idea on prices compaired to the local DIY stores would also be helpfull, i.e. will the yard be cheeper?

Thanks

Well I was just looking at a price index on line for a local yard and unless I got it wrong plained 3x2 was 99p per meter thats way cheeper than the local DIY stores I'm sure of it. Although it does sound very good value so I might have got it wrong!

And as has been pointed out it's very hard to find good wood at all the DIY stores I know of.

Hi.

If you've got a B&Q warehouse (the biggest of their shops) near you, then they stock a much better "Professional Grade" quality of redwood/pine than the mini-warehouses.

I used some of their 28mm x 140mm x 2440mm (ish) planed-all-round boards for a bed I made a while back. Also used some of their large beams (90mm x 75mm - ish) for the posts. All very good quality - much better than the stuff in the smaller B&Q's. None of it warped for me.

Think the boards were £10 for 2 and the posts were around £12 for a 2440mm lenght.

I salvage wood from pallets, so I know what you mean about its limitations. Can be fun, tho! :D

Hope that helps.

bryn :)

Dibs-h":bkfru8ys said:
If that's all you need - I'd nip down to the local Wickes.

I would be very careful about buying timber from Wickes without having a good look at it first. I ordered about £75 worth off their website and, while some of it was twisted and totally unusable , many of the other lengths have a curve going across the grain making it only suitable for the roughest of jobs.

The timber in B&Q looks much better but it can't be ordered online and delivery is £20. Also, if you buy it instore, they won't cut boards narrower than ( I think - 9 inches ) so you'd better use a van or take along a saw to cut it into transportable lengths on the car park.

David

pren":1a2mkcv0 said:
I salvage wood from pallets, so I know what you mean about its limitations. Can be fun, tho! :D

Hope that helps.

I've started doing the same but have real trouble separating the planks from the blocks. Is there a secret to it or is a lot of kindling par for the course?

studders":2tsnxzma said:
pren":2tsnxzma said:

Hope that helps.

I've started doing the same but have real trouble separating the planks from the blocks. Is there a secret to it or is a lot of kindling par for the course?

Well I'm not to great at it either but thankfully my friend seems to be an expert. He pops the first plank of using a bar then places that plank close to the next (about an inch or two), foot on plank and bars the next plank up as close to the nails as possible.

I've become an expert at removing the nails mind lol, them ring nails are pippers. One last thing, the middle of the pallets, the bit with two planks nailed to blocks is almost impossible to remove, so what I've been doing is chopping out one side, then laying the remainder on its side, plaining three up and stacking them into a planter three planks high.

My neighbours are well happy, especially with a bird table stuck in the middle.

studders":1jud9c7v said:

I've found the best technique is to use two pry bars
pry_bar_large.jpg

tapped in under either side of one end of the plank, as close to the nails as possible. Even outward pressure on both bars helps to pull the nails out vertically instead of in an arc. Ease the plank up, pushing the pry bars in as far as they can go with each successive levering. Can be a pipper with ring nails tho.

When you use one pry bar, the plank tips away from it whilst the tip digs into the underside of the plank, pulling it in the other direction. This normally results in 'Kindelingification'.....

..... what? It's a word 8-[

If the planks are too split to get much useable wood out of, I tend to just cut them into 12" sections with a circular saw between the nail points.

I have been toying with the idea of making a sort of long-handled centre punch to just knock the nails all the way through into the pallet 'chassis'. Basically, a centre punch welded onto a metal pole handle at 90degrees. Pole keeps hands away from the hammer and pallet. Not sure how much force would be needed tho.

There was another suggestion on here regarding the use of plug cutters to cut around the nails.

Who'd have thought that ripping pallets apart could be subject to so many different methods?! :lol:

Cheers.
Bryn.

Bofh":39238t25 said:
One last thing, the middle of the pallets, the bit with two planks nailed to blocks is almost impossible to remove

Ahhhhh.. thats the main thing I'm having trouble with. I'm obviously being too greedy trying to get them last bits off. :lol:

pren":rde5ju9l said:
I've found the best technique is to use two pry bars........

When you use one pry bar, the plank tips away from it whilst the tip digs into the underside of the plank, pulling it in the other direction. This normally results in 'Kindelingification'.....

..... what? It's a word 8-[

If the planks are too split to get much useable wood out of, I tend to just cut them into 12" sections with a circular saw between the nail points.
'Kindelingification' Sounds like a good 'woody' word to me.:lol:
I have been toying with the idea of making a sort of long-handled centre punch to just knock the nails all the way through into the pallet 'chassis'. Basically, a centre punch welded onto a metal pole handle at 90degrees. Pole keeps hands away from the hammer and pallet. Not sure how much force would be needed tho.
That sounds like a top idea, will give it a try.
There was another suggestion on here regarding the use of plug cutters to cut around the nails.
Tried that, it did work in a fashion but was very slow going and left a large hole to be plugged. One idea I had was to use a spotweld drill to remove the heads, should make prising the boards off easier.
Who'd have thought that ripping pallets apart could be subject to so many different methods?! :lol:

Cheers.
Bryn.

I know. Didn't really think of using them before but some of the wood is really quite good I've found. If you're on a tight budget, or like me just tight, then its well worth the effort. So thanks for the pointer.

Great tips there chaps, I'll be having a go at that this weekend. I fancy the two bar aproach. I've found all sorts when out palette collecting, granted I do feel a tad traveller but what the hell.

Most people sneer a little until they see what can be made from the trusty old palet, me Mum even offered me £50 for the bird table and stand I made her last week. I can't charge her though lol.

I'll post a pick of how I make planters out of the block stuff if you like, it's not pretty but some people love the rough nailed together look.

Bofh":28gddhfn said:
Well I was just looking at a price index on line for a local yard and unless I got it wrong plained 3x2 was 99p per meter thats way cheeper than the local DIY stores I'm sure of it. Although it does sound very good value so I might have got it wrong!

And as has been pointed out it's very hard to find good wood at all the DIY stores I know of.

My local timber merchant charges £0.79\m for 3"x2" plus VAT. Now since you are wanting 2 lengths and Wickes charges £0.80\m including VAT. I'd be trying Wickes 1st.

Now 3"x2" - I've never seen in 2.5m lengths, 2.4 or 3.2 is the nearest I've seen it.

Now staff in Wickes won't give a damn if you sort thru the entire stock in a bay to find 2 lengths that are straight ('ish). Whereas for 2 lengths - try that in a timber merchants and I somehow don't think it'll go down too well.

Dibs-h":339a7ix4 said:
Now staff in Wickes won't give a damn if you sort thru the entire stock in a bay to find 2 lengths that are straight ('ish). Whereas for 2 lengths - try that in a timber merchants and I somehow don't think it'll go down too well.

I've never really quite understood this attitude. With the price wood is these days surely you should be allowed to select the lengths you want? So long as you don't make a mess doing it and put the stuff back as you found it what's the problem? Why pay good money for twisted, knotty rubbish that someone else has 'graded'? If the timber yard ends up with unsellable lengths that no one wants then surely they weren't fit in the first place? :? :?

studders":p31eygvt said:
Dibs-h":p31eygvt said:

I've never really quite understood this attitude. With the price wood is these days surely you should be allowed to select the lengths you want? So long as you don't make a mess doing it and put the stuff back as you found it what's the problem? Why pay good money for twisted, knotty rubbish that someone else has 'graded'? If the timber yard ends up with unsellable lengths that no one wants then surely they weren't fit in the first place? :? :?

Quite right, I always check the wood in packets as nearly always its rubbish and you have to open a few packets to make a good one. Can't think why anyone would think selling twisted rubbish is ok. Seems like a rip off to me.

I think I must be well out with my prices then, I'm sure 3x1 2.4m packs of 4 were over £20 in Homebase, I'll have to check again I think.

If my local wood yard tried to sell me twisted wood then they wouldn't be getting much business from anyone I'd think.

I was at the timber yard about 2 weeks ago - and the price of timber has gone up by 5-10%. I don't think it's necessarily going to come down either.

My local yard does allowing selecting - but they aren't going to tolerate someone going thru an entire pack for a couple of lengths of 3"x2".

For me it's matter of context - whitewood from the local lumber yard, is on the whole for constructional purposes (for me anyway). As such the tolerances\expectations are with that in mind.

Furniture grade timber at constructional grade prices isn't really going to happen. At the end of the day it's a natural product with whatever variability comes with it. Whose to say that the really nice peace of timber that you've spent time sorting thru a pile for, won't warp or twist when you get it home\workshop?

Fair point. Although the stuff I've seen in DIY stores is so bad you could tie a piece of string to it and use it as a bow lol.

Dibs-h":6nbekqt9 said:
Whose to say that the really nice peace of timber that you've spent time sorting thru a pile for, won't warp or twist when you get it home\workshop?

Thats true enough. What irritates me though is the 'suspicion' that they knowingly sell pieces that won't be fit for much under the guise of 'it's wood, take it as it comes'. If you chose it yourself and it warps/splits then tough.

studders":2fbx089i said:
Dibs-h":2fbx089i said:
Whose to say that the really nice peace of timber that you've spent time sorting thru a pile for, won't warp or twist when you get it home\workshop?

Thats true enough. What irritates me though is the 'suspicion' that they knowingly sell pieces that won't be fit for much under the guise of 'it's wood, take it as it comes'. If you chose it yourself and it warps/splits then tough.

I don't think they knowingly sell dodgy stuff. It's just that they've had to buy perhaps a container load or thereabouts and on the whole it's all good. Just that Mother Nature has other ideas, etc.

Latest posts

Back