Wood or veneer?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vormulac

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

This such a daft question I feel quite embarrassed to post it here, but perhaps there is a pearl of wisdom so blindingly obvious that I have overlooked it.
Is there an easy way (that doesn't involve saws and chisels) to tell if a piece of furniture is made of solid wood or veneered board?
My other half had two pieces of furniture which she inherited, one I demolished as she didn't like it and no-one would have wanted it. I would have put money on it being solid wood, but the sledgehammer revealed it was veneered board instead. This second piece of furniture is much nicer though and she's hoping I can cast some light on its construction and having been so fundamentally wrong about the last piece, I'm hesitant to commit myself on this one!

So, any pointers? No comment too obvious, all are welcome! :)

V.

Check the end grain - underneath - for board joints - veneer joints - feel the weight etc.

Unless it is very old, you're not going to get big table tops or single planks of any great width. We've hacked them all down :( Having said that, just because it's veneer doesn't detract from its value or quality if it is an antique - just the opposite in most cases!

Roger is right, check the base and any exposed areas. The weight would depend on the type of particle board used, or they could have used a low cost wood and then veneered.
Veneer used in the "old" days would have had quite a good thickness compared to modern day 0.8mm.
With modern veneered furniture, you can sand or scratch through to the base material very easily.
On a panel or table top, the joins could be a good indication.

Back