Wood ID

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drillbit

Established Member
Reaction score
Is this an actual wood in its own right, as opposed to something which has been stained ?

I picked it up from Travis Perkins' offcuts bin with a few bits of scrap pine last week. It's not something TP sell, and the bloke didn't know what it was - it was the only piece like it in the bin. When I got it home and had a look at it, I started thinking maybe it was just a stained piece of timber. When sawn, it produced very fine red dust, almost like paint powder, and when sanding it reminds me of sanding down painted wood - but the colour goes all the way through, so if it is stained, it's been properly done.

Whatever it is, it turned like soft clay. It actually was possible to make minor adjustments to the shape with just the bevel of a gouge, rather than cutting, it was that soft.

I may be a bit biased, but I really like the way the wood looks when finished, so I would like to get hold of some more, but have Googled for hours in vain - which makes me think maybe it's not actually a species of wood at all.

So can anyone shed light? I'm going to feel a bit foolish if I've been hoping it's a species of timber and it's actually just a bit of painted pine....

woodid1.jpg

woodid3.jpg

Attachments

• woodid1.jpg
    woodid1.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 631
  • woodid3.jpg
    woodid3.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 631
Hi Drillbit,

Is it very heavy? I bet it is. I have a piece just like it, I have a friendly timber delivery driver that save me interesting looking bearers and usually they are just sapele, the odd beech one but I've got one like that too. I reckon it's Cocobolo, which is a type of Rosewood I believe. Lovely stuff but can easily become an allergen so watch it!

HTH

Richard

The only cocobolo I have is very much darker than that and very close to being a solid colour. Cocobolo is also one of the hardest woods I have ever used and is frequently used for percussive instruments in it's native land because of its hardness and tonal qualities.

+1 for cocobolo, i've seen a lot like that.
What did it smell like?
I have to be careful with cocobolo, it make me feel like i've snorted pepper and i get a rash. I generally avoid it now or use gloves and full respirator.

Cocobolo fits with the colour but it's not heavy at all. Quite the opposite. Very light, and very soft. It really does feel almost like turning soft clay...

Richard I am hoping to get to your demo at Tudor Rose so if I brung it along maybe you can gave a closer look and tell me what it is.

Toby

That could be Sapele.

Often used in window and door frames.

Cocobolo is very dense and heavy, doesn't fit your desciption at all.

I'll join the confused element!

To me the wood looks like bolivian rosewood (santos) but the description is completely at odds ie it's hard, hard on tool edges and dense...

too much colour for cocobola (let alone the hard/dense/keep sharpenning elements !)

sapele is, I think, the same family as mahogany, and whilst less dense than the above it's still hard.

If I was asked to make one guess based on what shown and said it would be Goncalo Alves.

Padauk?

I got some bits of pallet where most of the slats were just sapwood, but the few bits where there was heartwood looked very much like that. Takes a lovely finish.

I think you may have nailed it with padauk dick. Just been googling and found lots of pics which resemble what I've got. I might order a couple of blanks online which will soon tell me if it is. You are right about the finish. Almost ends up looking plastic.

drillbit":4e9jgw1v said:
I think you may have nailed it with padauk dick. Just been googling and found lots of pics which resemble what I've got. I might order a couple of blanks online which will soon tell me if it is. You are right about the finish. Almost ends up looking plastic.

if it's Padauk it will have pronounced pores which will be obvious even on a well finished piece (unless filled). It's definitely easier (on tools!) to turn than rosewood but it's still hard.

the other giveaway is the extremely bright shavings, that fade slightly in UV over a short period of time.

Padauk sounds very likely.

I made some egg-cups from Padauk and whilst the unfinished wood was a lot lighter in appearance than the cocobolo I have, once sanded and waxed it became almost as dark and finished very well. I liked it so much I ordered some more.

The padauk blanks I have weigh noticeably less than their equivalent sized cocobol ones, although I still woudn't say they are light.

Anyone for cocobolo ? http://www.mexicancocobolo.com/Mexican-Cocobolo3.php

Weasel Howlett":1r1jneg0 said:
jumps":1r1jneg0 said:
if it's Padauk ...
...the other giveaway is the extremely bright shavings, that fade slightly in UV over a short period of time.

and, ive always found, a slight smell of tomato ketchup when sanding!!

I beleive the oft quoted axiom is 'spicy odour' when working. Something I miss with the Airshield #-o , but then again one look at the filters =D>

Back