Wood I.D - Confusing one!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philb88

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Had this wood in stores for about 10 years, and was from a garage where it had been stored 50+ years before that!

Has a interlocking grain, like Iroko - Sapele. But doesn't have the yellow-green colouring of Iroko, more orange. Also a lot heavier and less dusty than Iroko. Also isn't like any Sapele I've had before, more open grained! Also seems way too dense for a Mahogany!

Any ideas before I chop up something that might be better kept for something better!!

PHIL

Attachments

• Photo 22-10-2012 13 14 38.jpg
    Photo 22-10-2012 13 14 38.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 256
  • Photo 22-10-2012 13 14 33.jpg
    Photo 22-10-2012 13 14 33.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 256
+1 maybe for afrormosia
looks too light for teak
but what about rosewood?
60+ years can open up a multitude of possibilities
this probably doesn`t help at all but if you know its history for that long i wouldn`t waste it or use it for the sake of using it.
all the best
rob

Cheers Guys,

Will have a look for another sample of Afromosia to compare to, but the last lot of Afromosia didn't have such defined interlocking grain, or the ribbon type figure.
Try to wok out how old the plank is, I'm at about 75+ years, so could be something completely random! I was hoping for Pernambuco!!

I've got a 10ft of the stuff, 12" wide and 3" thick, so think I might store it back away until I'm sure I'm not wasting something because I couldn't be bother to go and get what I needed from the woodyard!

Pernambuco would require a different swirly type figuring for me, interlocking grain made me think rosewood though you can smell that when you cut it. and brown ebony is still a possible. If your thinking of getting rid of that piece i`d be happy to take it off your hands and only too willing to give you a nice piece of whitewood or redwood of similar size in exchange.
all the best
rob

I agree aformosia too - but "nice wood to work with" - I don't think so Interlocking grain and an absolute puppy to get a really good finish with. I think I ended up having third degree burns on my thumbs from the card scraper action which was going on. Good luck. LOL about the wife betting gags tho'
Mark

I got a good finish with little effort, no need for scraping, sand to 240g and its as smooth as any other. I had to used some to renovate some custom made chairs recently and I can say I really enjoyed the job and using the timber. I had to make notched mortise and tenons at angles, I hand sawn a lot of it and with no issues.

If it wasn't expensive and so hard to get hold of I would use it more.

Appears to me there are a number here happy to lose their wives (one each, don't mean polygamy) in a casual bet. Pine?, ebony?
Should be home'n'dry, but otherwise might I suggest Loot, Gumtree or Freecycle :lol:

Back