Wood for kitchen counter tops?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

White House Workshop

Established Member
Reaction score
I am going to refinish our kitchen this autumn - strip everything out, skim the walls that are currently artex (yuck!), refit the cabinets put in new worktop, sink and fittings. The cabinets are good quality 'shaker' style and we like them so they will be kept - they cost over £1000 only 8 years ago anyway! We have picked out a new stainless sink and fittings and the last job is to decide on the counter tops.

I have decided to make the counter tops myself but of which wood?

Our floor is tiled in a pale quarry tile with green insets. The cabinets are a pale/dirty yellow/cream. I'm thinking of using either beech or possibly idigbo. I wouldn't want to go too dark as it would then look too heavy. What do people think?

I then need to find a source of 50mm thick boards - has anyone used W.L.West? They're close to me and could be an option. I have bought from S.L.Hardwoods before and their quality has been superb but pricey, I think.

Hi, W L West provided the stock for my dining table (Oak). Prices were good, delivery quick and the PAR stock I ordered was VERY square. So I'd recomend them.

I highly recommend Wests and use them at every opportunity simply because they are so pleasant and helpful to deal with, sadly it doesn't often happen that I need enough timber in one hit to justify the delivery charges. If they were just a bit closer to me I'd be down there all the time.
Their stock is superb and prices seem competitive to me. They will make worktops to order if you change your mind about doing the donkey-work.
One of my favourite companies.

Mark

Thanks for the recommendations on W.L.West. They're only about 45 miles away, so a quick trip in the car with the roofrack will be on the cards soon.

I went into Lewis's yesterday where they had a few wooden countertops on display units, and lots of samples (from woodentops.com). SWMBO has decided she would like mixed colours, which I think would actually be pretty interesting but not for our current kitchen - I'll think about that for the next one. Right now it seems that beech is favourite - with a line of black walnut right down the middle!

Incidentally, the prices from Wests are really good - just got their quote at £350 for square 2 edges and planed 2 sides, 4 square metres of 100-150 width planks. That includes 20% 'wastage' - which won't actually go to waste of course...

Now I have to convince SWMBO that putting in the equivalent of a £2000 countertop (at full retail) is worth it to sell the house one day! Still cheaper than granite....

Latest posts

Back