woo hoo! some one actually paid me to make somthing!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tombo

Established Member
Reaction score
made this telephone table for a work colleague over the weekend, its quite tall and only a foot square. Although its not to my taste it was fun to make.
One thing i did learn from this is that there is no way i could make a living at woodworking i am too slow!

telephone-table.jpg

Tom

My first real commission a couple of years ago near to retirement was a pine bathroom cabinet for our neighbour, on which I experimented with several different mahogany stains to match he rest of her bathroom. I spent about £30 on wood and stains. I was just about to tell her the damage with a few quid added on, and my wife says "no, don't worry, we wouldn't dream of charging you, it's Peter's hobby" That's about minus £2 an hour :evil:

Great work! I like the chamfered edges on the legs.

With any luck, I'm going to get my first, as well, next week. It's a custom computer station for toddlers. Despite my love for "real" wood, this looks like a job for heavily sealed MDF.

Thanks, Jim

Jarviser":25w8ync5 said:
My first real commission a couple of years ago near to retirement was a pine bathroom cabinet for our neighbour, on which I experimented with several different mahogany stains to match he rest of her bathroom. I spent about £30 on wood and stains. I was just about to tell her the damage with a few quid added on, and my wife says "no, don't worry, we wouldn't dream of charging you, it's Peter's hobby" That's about minus £2 an hour :evil:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Can I ask, what your hourly rate worked out to

oooh senior that is below the belt, there is about 20 hours and £15 of materials. I charged £60 and was happy with that. :D

Its a full normite spec mortice 'n' tenon rails and legs so i got to use the dado :oops: but i hand cut the dove tails for the drawer, only cause i dont have a jig. That alone took half the time.

Now what to spend my loot on :-s

Tom

senior":3tka4cx6 said:
Can I ask, what your hourly rate worked out to :D

Do hobbyists have an hourly rate? By definition surely not!

Surely if its for a colleague, he gave you £60 for materials, wear and tear and effectively you gave it to him for free.

Adam

Nice work Tom... Hand cut dovetails and all.

I've recently got my workshop up and running after moving house, having babies (well watching baby arrive) and building the workshop. I made a toybox for tiddler and a small table and chairs coz I wouldn’t let SWMBO buy the nasty plywood jobbie from Early Learning (table and 2 chairs £79.95 + 2 more chairs £35). Now I’ve got 2 orders for toyboxes and 2 for table and chairs. But like most, I never have enough time to make them. When I get round to it I’ll probably do a softwood toybox for £50 or so and table + 4 chairs for £65ish and they’ll be better made than the ELC firewood.

Like you, I could never make a living out of it coz I’m too slow, but I enjoy doing it and if I can cover my costs + a little for some more new tools and so on, then I’m happy.

I’m making a small table for a TV in the play room and your pic has just inspired me to put a drawer in the front for the remote and so on.

I’ll post some piccies if I ever work out how.

Jon

Back