Women...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cobbs

Established Member
Reaction score
...Are there any women members in here, or is it just men? Just asking out of curiosity as I've been here a few weeks now and as far as I can make out, I've yet to see any posts by women. It would be nice to think that in this day and age there may be a few female contributors, not just a load of grumpy old men (I include myself in the latter!).

Well that's good to know! I suspect the clue may be in your user name....

Does gender matter, - try not to use my balls when marking out

In an ideal world I’d expect a healthy mix of men and women and anything else that people identify themselves as . It really doesn’t matter though because advice is advice apart from anyone who is disabled or suffers from a particular condition or illness. I’ve read and replied to a few threads where the op states he / she is disabled . obviously this can place the operator of a tablesaw or router table for example in greater danger so it’s important to know especially if they use a wheelchair. Other wise it’s not important as I believe woodwork is for anyone and everyone who wants to take it up .

I’m here…. Learning lots from the forum. Currently playing with pallets in my kitchen

Attachments

• IMG_9866.jpeg
    IMG_9866.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9867.jpeg
    IMG_9867.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Does gender matter, - try not to use my balls when marking out
Does that mean I've been doing it wrong all these years?

Seriously, on an individual level, no I don't think it matters, but I do think it's important there's a good mix of people in the craft and in the forums - it lends a certain balance and different perspectives and it's nice to see the stereotypical "man's work / women's work" barriers being lowered.

Another one here. Watching and learning. And making stuff but too shy to post pics.
You should not be shy to post pictures- we all have different skill levels and abilities. While some members are professionals and others are hobbyists or totally new to woodworking we all share the same goal . Showing others your work will strengthen your skills in terms of a criticism or compliment. This is how we all learn . I’m Self Taught and I’m also my biggest critic.

Hi, Morag. Ladies are always welcome.
Is that checkered board made out of wood?

You should not be shy to post pictures- we all have different skill levels and abilities. While some members are professionals and others are hobbyists or totally new to woodworking we all share the same goal . Showing others your work will strengthen your skills in terms of a criticism or compliment. This is how we all learn . I’m Self Taught and I’m also my biggest critic.
This is why I like this forum, it’s not like some of the Facebook groups you can go on, post a picture or a question and get flamed by an armchair craftsman reciting a YouTube they watched somewhere looking to feel better about themselves.

Hi, Morag. Ladies are always welcome.
Is that checkered board made out of wood?
I sorry not guilty on that one, it is fused glass made by local chap. Sadly he’s passed away now, but it is rather gorgeous! One day I shall make a better hanger for it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Another one here. Watching and learning. And making stuff but too shy to post pics.
Go for it, whatever your skill level there will always be people with more or less ability than you have. You can marvel at or be inspired by the former, and try and help out the latter. That's the beauty of the forum :)

This is why I like this forum, it’s not like some of the Facebook groups you can go on, post a picture or a question and get flamed by an armchair craftsman reciting a YouTube they watched somewhere looking to feel better about themselves.
I agree , I like the mixed topics and the variety of ideas. I wasn’t sure when i first joined but tbh glad I did- the fact there are female members then even better . The more the merrier.

Latest posts

Back