Woke up feeling a little frayed? Wild dreams?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Then put it down to that glass of chilled white wine that you drunk last night from that part-opened bottle that was lurking in your fridge for the last couple of days. There is a growing body of evidence that wine makers - across the world - are stuffing more and more chemicals into their wines to try and improve yield from what are often mediocre raw materials...ie duff wine. These chemicals change and react with the air over a relatively short time and which explains why after only the one glass you had a night of vidid dreams and have woken up feeling very frazzled and lethargic. There is no legislation to force wine makers to put on the label all the c rap that they stick into their wines...and this applies across the range from premier cru to lidl's best. The only thing they have to put on is sulphites.

There is a movement back towards natural wines..ie with no chemicals ..but in the meantime, we've decided to have days alcohol free and days where we 'Geoff'* the bottle.

Roger

* In honour of Geoff down the gym, who when I mentioned this to him, raised an eyebrow and said 'You mean you don't finish the bottle'?

RogerS":d86v6bx5 said:
Then put it down to that glass of chilled white wine that you drunk last night from that part-opened bottle that was lurking in your fridge for the last couple of days. There is a growing body of evidence that wine makers - across the world - are stuffing more and more chemicals into their wines to try and improve yield from what are often mediocre raw materials...ie duff wine. These chemicals change and react with the air over a relatively short time and which explains why after only the one glass you had a night of vidid dreams and have woken up feeling very frazzled and lethargic. There is no legislation to force wine makers to put on the label all the c rap that they stick into their wines...and this applies across the range from premier cru to lidl's best. The only thing they have to put on is sulphites.

There is a movement back towards natural wines..ie with no chemicals ..but in the meantime, we've decided to have days alcohol free and days where we 'Geoff'* the bottle.

Roger

* In honour of Geoff down the gym, who when I mentioned this to him, raised an eyebrow and said 'You mean you don't finish the bottle'?
...or you could stick to organic wines (though there's not many of them about). German pilsner beer might be other alternative 'cos they've been governed by their Purity Laws for centuries (only water,hops and barley in the brew). The law has been repealed but I understand many brewers still stick to it - Rob

I wonder about the chemicals in wine. I have a friend who gets really bad hangovers after even a couple of glasses of red. She goes to Greece with her family every year and has got to know a few of the locals, one of whom owns a small vineyard and makes his own wine, just for himself and a few locals, no chemicals, just grapes and yeast, sold by the gallon. She says that no matter how drunk she gets on it, in the morning after a cup of coffee she is right as rain; she puts this down to the whatever in mass produced wine.

......vivid dreams and have woken up feeling very frazzled and lethargic.
You mean it could have something to do with the booze? Well blow me down, there's a surprise!

So it's just re-opened bottles then? OK to down it in one if it's newly opened? That's a relief I was beginning to worry!

I had a bottle of red wine chilling in the fridge for quite a while now, but had trouble putting the cork back in and just had a rolled tissue. Tried to have some the other day and it was awful, my God, went really bad, though it hasn't been there for that long. I thought it was supposed to last longer than that. But didn't drink it, hence no weird dreams for me :)

woodbloke":15vry0jk said:
RogerS":15vry0jk said:

Roger

...or you could stick to organic wines (though there's not many of them about). German pilsner beer might be other alternative 'cos they've been governed by their Purity Laws for centuries (only water,hops and barley in the brew). The law has been repealed but I understand many brewers still stick to it - Rob

Not quite. There is debate on the definition of what constitutes 'organic' wine. Does it just apply to the ground ie no fertilisers etc or does it apply to the wine...addition of sulphites etc or not.

Natural wine making is different...this extract from Wiki

Natural winemaking is a style of winemaking that can be applied to any wine. It is loosely defined as using native yeasts in the fermentation process and minimal or no sulfur dioxide in the winemaking process. It may also mean unfined and unfiltered as well. Natural winemaking is not governed by laws (at least not in the U.S.) and has no inspection or verification process (unless it is a biodynamic wine). Estimates are that less than 10 percent of the organically grown wine in the United States is made in a natural winemaking style, most of which is certified biodynamic wine.[citation needed]

Natural winemakers may or may not use organic or biodynamic grapes in their wines. Using native yeasts and relying on minimal manipulation often means that wines have a more unique profile from year to year. Different vintages vary more than conventionally made wine because of the non-interventionist approach. This is a key part of the natural wine aesthetic which emphasizes the least amount of intervention to bring the true flavor of each vintage to the glass.

The natural wine movement has grown in popularity in response to what some observers have called "Parkerization" or the globalization of wine tasting.[citation needed] A small number of critics' palates and the points system has come to define the market value of wines. The effect of this on wine producers has been to try to manipulate the taste of their wine (for example trying to increase the intensity of fruit and oak) in order to please certain wine critics and get higher ratings.[8] As a result critics of these critics say this is causing an increasting uniformity amongst wines and a loss of regional and varietal character. The natural wine movement is one response to the global commodification of winemaking.

RogerS":1bq96xwq said:
There is a growing body of evidence that wine makers - across the world - are stuffing more and more chemicals into their wines to try and improve yield from what are often mediocre raw materials...ie duff wine. These chemicals change and react with the air over a relatively short time...

Got any references for this evidence I could read in more detail?

BugBear

bugbear":2kpkg92z said:
RogerS":2kpkg92z said:
There is a growing body of evidence that wine makers - across the world - are stuffing more and more chemicals into their wines to try and improve yield from what are often mediocre raw materials...ie duff wine. These chemicals change and react with the air over a relatively short time...

Got any references for this evidence I could read in more detail?

BugBear

Well, here's a list of what might be going into your wine for starters. It's a long list.

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/additives.asp

and this one although a bit old

http://www.naturalnews.com/022739.html

woodbloke":22xpn709 said:
....German pilsner beer might be other alternative 'cos they've been governed by their Purity Laws for centuries (only water,hops and barley in the brew).

Apart from the fact that most German Hop Fields have to be heavily sprayed to keep the plants desease and pest free due to the density of planting over a wide area, you should be in the Halertau during the main growing season, and the fact that the groundwater in the area can have a high nitrate level. Not all contents are listed on the bottle despite most carrying the Reinheitsgebot statement, a law enacted before they even new what yeast was let alone water polutants etc.

This thread reminds me of a time when after " feeling a little frayed...wild dreams.etc" I came up with the theory that I was putting too much tonic in my gin.
I was quite convinced of it for some time.
Then there is the "something wrong with that last (7th) pint" theory. We've all been there. :roll:

Jacob":3c7046fm said:
This thread reminds me of a time when after " feeling a little frayed...wild dreams.etc" I came up with the theory that I was putting too much tonic in my gin.
I was quite convinced of it for some time.
Then there is the "something wrong with that last (7th) pint" theory. We've all been there. :roll:

You are not alone. The surviving member of the two fat ladies (cooks) who was/is an alcoholic put her health troubles down the the tonic! We drink gallons of ginless tonic at home and so far, no ill effects.

We had better restrict ourselves to a mean 6 on Thursday, just in case.

There was a program on some while ago that said putting any fizzy mixer with alcohol multiplied the effect of the alcohol, including the after effects. So... wanna stay sober longer? Drink it neat.

studders":1syumu6t said:
There was a program on some while ago that said putting any fizzy mixer with alcohol multiplied the effect of the alcohol, including the after effects. So... wanna stay sober longer? Drink it neat.
Tonic gives the gin a quicker hit - that's the whole idea! But it wears off quicker too :roll:
A nicely made G&T is the alcoholic equivalent of a snort of coke (I'm told) though a dry martini is also a contender. Any other suggestions?

Modernist":11voacrm said:
We drink gallons of ginless tonic at home and so far, no ill effects.

We had better restrict ourselves to a mean 6 on Thursday, just in case.

Gin burns clean. OK, good gin burns clean. Bad gin, well, I'd rather not say. Either way, a full glass of water and a couple of ibuprofen's before going to bed doesn't hurt.

Kirk

Get a book of recipes and make your own! Our Raspberry wine was IMO vastly superior to the mass produced stuff. Then there's Apple wine, Pear wine, Plum wine, all sorts of different yeasts that will produce an A content of nearly 25 per cent if that takes your fancy.
Then there's Cider of course, Beer from kits I found awful though.

Roy.

Jacob":3c4pgdvp said:
.....though a dry martini is also a contender. ...

Ah yes. I had the best dry martini in a hotel bar in Saigon. When i got home, I bought some Bombay Sapphire etc and tried to recreate this fabulous dry martini. I spent all evening with different mixes and finally got it right......only I couldn't remember the next morning what it was....actually I can't remember much after the sixth ...or was it the seventh ?

And a Campari & soda is not to be sneezed at, except it's a bit girly I suppose. Hide it behind a Tetley's beer mat.

One of our local hotels does a mean martini - they spray the inside of a chilled glass with a secret concoction then add a large measure of gin. Very nice, powerful and expensive!

Port at 19% is supposed to hit the spot quickest - that concentration is supposed to be the optimum for absorption into the blood stream?

And as for keeping red wine chilled in the fridge!! White yes drunk asap but red should be drunk at room temperature and once opened kept for a few days only.

Going back to gin - I've tried most including the expensive Sipsmiths but my favourite is Plymouth. Best tonic is Fevertree closely followed by Schweppes.

Rod

Digit":egiq7jx5 said:
Get a book of recipes and make your own! Our Raspberry wine was IMO vastly superior to the mass produced stuff. Then there's Apple wine, Pear wine, Plum wine, all sorts of different yeasts that will produce an A content of nearly 25 per cent if that takes your fancy.
Then there's Cider of course, Beer from kits I found awful though.

Roy.
I agree about the home made vino...the strength of the stuff could get beyond belief. I went to a neighbour's years ago and was offered a small glass of colourless wine made with a Tokay yeast (iIrc)...after the third glass I was incapable of standing up as my legs t'weren't working. I stopped making the stuff 'cos I couldn't make it weak enough (if that makes sense) and as SWIMBO and I were disposing of a bottle of red a night (elder, blackcurrant...whatever) we decided to knock it on the head before it did us no good 8-[
I also used to make home made beer from grains which was far better than anything I ever had in a pub but the trouble was that it took a whole,very messy, weekend to brew 5 gallons and two or three days after it was fit to drink (usually in a barrel)...it was gorn :cry: - Rob

Bin there etc. It does sound daft to try and make it weak but I had the same problem, otherwise two glasses and i was anybody's!
When I first started, and offerred a glass, you could see people accepting it out of politeness, then they'd come back for the recipe!
We've a large crop of apples this year so it's Apple wine this time, to me, Rasperry wine beats anything France produces.

Roy.

Back