wizer cones to play ( without his anti slope clothes ) !!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Well here we go :lol:

Wizer turned up at about 10.30 and previously I had a call from John,b asking if he could attend as well :p

So 3 of us went to do battle with Toms mallet blank .

Apparently all the wood used was from Corby :wink:

Tom had already laminated the wood together so it was installed on the lathe between centres and roughed down to a cylinder
118_1891.jpg

118_1893.jpg

Tom in the driving seat
118_1894.jpg

then on to shaping the handle as this project was to be made in one piece

118_1899.jpg

more work on the handle / shaping to get the grip correct
118_1898.jpg

After cutting a spigot and chucking the project ( no not in the bin ) John did some work on the handle end
119_1907.jpg

Then on to shaping the mallet body with a slight taper
119_1903.jpg

some sheer scraping to get a good finish prior to sanding
119_1906.jpg

sand it all up to 400 grit starting at 120 ,
119_1902.jpg

sanding seal and briwax and polish

and here we are the finished article
119_1912.jpg

Shame tom does not look to happy

119_1913.jpg

yer right

Tom left here muttering , flash light , garden . I have room for a shed , and I already have the armoured cable in place , and saying when can I return for some more turning lessons

Shame he is not on the sloooooooop

:p :p :p

Pleased we all had a good few hours in the workshop and Tom ended up with his mallet to his design , nice litthe touch with the 2 lines burnt for effect with wire

I am looking forward to the next session :wink:

Looks like a good day was had by all :D
Finished article looks good,the burnt grooves add nicely to it - they make it look nice as well as useable =D>

Andrew

To say I'm happy is an understatement. It wasn't til got got back into the house that I realised just how much fun i''d had. The missus thinks I'm full of New Year's spirit, but my mind is spinning about spinning. Here's a couple more shots close up.

DSC_0165.JPG

I decorated the end with a couple of rings

DSC_0173.JPG

The wood is indeed from Corby and I'd laminated the blank from beach and Iroko and cut the edges off at 45 degrees on my TS. This was originally going to be my SS present. As said elsewhere, my back went on the night before I was meant to go to Allen's so that idea went out the window. After spending nearly 3 weeks in bed I just wanted to get out and have some woody fun and this felt like just the right kind of fix.

Like Allen says I've just been looking at my garden and where I can fit a dedicated turning shed. One thing that is prominent is that if my back problems worsen to a degree where I can't stand for too long, turning maybe what I have to get into. Allen showed me a lathe that can be used from a (wheel)chair.

The mallet is sitting right here next to me as I type and it followed me to the dinner table as I at my Wild Mushroom Risotto. It just feels so right in the hand. We had been terming it a carving mallet all day but it will be used as a general all purpose workshop mallet. Tho, now I have my arbortech I'll be doing some more carvy stuff.

Who'da thunk you could write so much about a mallet?
:lol:

Finally ,I just want to say a massive thanks to Allen for being a lovely host and letting me come to play and also thanks to John for his added instruction and input. It was also Interesting to meet Alen and John's friend Dennis, who brought a box of turnings which blew me away. This man is to turning what Sinatra was to singing. A genius.

When we doing it again Allen?

Wizer ,

I will let you know when I am next off work and if its convenient for you , have a go at basic tool use , beads ,coves , roughing , pull cuts , sheer scraping

O im getting all excited

pleased you had a good day

Allen

:p

Excellent mallet Wizer (and support team!)

I think any of the Secret Santa participants would have been delighted to receive this - shame it didn't work out that way. Can we expect to see a stream of round products appearing in the coming months?

Cheers, Ed

EdSutton":6d7xdn5x said:
Can we expect to see a stream of round products appearing in the coming months?

Well I want to go and play at Allen and John's place a bit first.

But when I showed this thread to SWMBO her first reaction was "We could make our summer house into a lathe workshop, you've just got junk in there anyway"

So consider that signed and sealed. :lol:

wizer":1hotsd59 said:
But when I showed this thread to SWMBO her first reaction was "We could make our summer house into a lathe workshop, you've just got junk in there anyway"

So consider that signed and sealed. :lol:

Both feet on the slope,and gathering momentum nicely.... :lol:

Andrew

A good series of photos.

Does the shear scraping comment apply to photo 8? If so then that looks like normal scraping rather than shear.

Hi Wizer.

A very nicely designed mallet, my hobby use to be making items of furniture and other items then I had an accident at work and damaged my spine in the lumber area and know I am disabled and live in pain I also have walking difficulties and can'nt stand for to long, so I tried woodturning as a new hobby, I really enjoy it and is very therapeutic and gives me something to focus on.

Carl :)

Excellent series of photos and lovely mallet.

Just wondering what the tool is being used on the handle end in picture 6?

Carl":3uaybjao said:
Hi Wizer.

A very nicely designed mallet, my hobby use to be making items of furniture and other items then I had an accident at work and damaged my spine in the lumber area and know I am disabled and live in pain I also have walking difficulties and can'nt stand for to long, so I tried woodturning as a new hobby, I really enjoy it and is very therapeutic and gives me something to focus on.

Carl :)

It's very comforting, in a way, to hear your comments Carl. It looks like I'm heading that way and, boy, the instant gratification of turning something is so elating I can't put it into words. I knew I'd like turning which is why in some way I was reluctant to go to Allens. It's now time to think about doing a few months of overtime. It's my 30th next year so hopefully my family members will be kind to my new found passion.

All that said. I have a list as long as my leg to be getting on with in the workshop so I'm not totally converting to spinney just yet.

Nice mallet Tom, but I did warn you about The Slope TM. :roll:

I am not surprised you had a good time with Allen, he is a top bloke and willing to share his skill with you. 8)
I have had hours of fun with the tiny lathe I bought, if I had the space for the lathe that is for sale then it would be sold by now. :shock:

I have seen at some shows a turner who is in a wheel chair, cannot remember his name but the stuff he produces is great, so if the worst happens there is a way to continue with this hobby. :D

Vulthoom,
The tool being used in pic 6 is a multi-tip scraper with a circular blade.

A Thoroughly enjoyable day. I definitely think Tom is on the slippery slope>>>>>>>>must do it again soon!

John. B

DaveL":3iyxnso4 said:
I have seen at some shows a turner who is in a wheel chair, cannot remember his name but the stuff he produces is great, so if the worst happens there is a way to continue with this hobby. :D

Believe it is Tony Wilson - saw him at Harrogate a couple of years ago demonstrating Silverline lathes.

Andrew

Latest posts

Back