WIP ash built in wardrobes newbies first furniture

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robin

Reaction score
I came across this site a few days ago and have been viewing with awe some of the projects here. This is my first attempt at furniture building so please go easy on me......

w1.jpg

w2.jpg

The small drawer top right has had a coat of danish oil on it hence the different colour

w3.jpg

w4.jpg

w5.jpg

All of this was built outside on a patio table with a benchtop table saw (dewalt DW744) and the fixed as bits became available. I now have workshop space and a DW746 with sliding table and 52" rail extension woohoo!! So I'm hoping to finish the thing in double quick time now

Robin

Hi Robin,

Welcome to the forum

No need to go easy on you as you have done a very nice job :wink:

I'm sorry.. Didn't you say that this was your first attempt at furniture making?

You Sicken Me!!!

:wink:

Excelent job.

Alf":135dy5p7 said:
Welcome to the forum, Robin. Sheesh, first furniture? I'll just go and sob in a corner... ](*,) =D>

Cheers, Alf

Got room for me in that corner Alf,

Great job you are doing there Robin, welcome to the forum it looks as though you have much to contribute.

Thanks for the kind comments. I have to get the damn thing finished quickly though as I'm moving in with fiancee and will be renting the house out so I'm now doing all this for someone else to enjoy (wreck!!)... :(

One of the benefits of the move is a nice double garage nee workshop. I've already got the table saw installed but will be asking for advice on the purchase of a bandsaw which I desperately need.

I don't know whether to thank Norm or track him down and give him a good kicking for starting me off on woodworking.... He has much to answer for!!

Oh yeah, fiancee wants a new kitchen... Just kill me now! ](*,)

Robin

Welcome, Robin.
Definitely no need to go easy. Very nice. =D>

BTW I did much of my kitchen (very much a looong WIP ](*,))) on a cheapo benchtop saw and cheapo router before upgrading to better quality machinery.

Brad

Brad,

Yep I made the mouldings. They are made from 5 pieces. The cove was made by clamping a bar at an angle to the saw and then running the stock at an angle to the blade (somewhat dangerous but hey, I'd seen Norm do it). The dentille moulding was mad by cross cutting a length of stock 3mm deep and then moving the fence 6mm and repeating many many times.. Then 6mm slices of the stock were taken and sandwiched between strips of 3mm stock. The 3mm kerf of the saw blade means you end up with the dentille squares. This was then glued to the bottom of the cove and finally a rounded over piece was glued to the top.

Hopefully this pic of some of the pieces explains it better

w6.jpg

Robin

Well that does it, I am going to burn down the workshop and work outside on the patio. Wonderful stuff Robin. First project unbelievable, looks like you have been doing it for a few years by that work! Well done. :shock:

Nice to see up close how the mouldings were built up. I suspected they were a t/s job. Better be careful the health and safety brigade on here don't swoop :whistle: :-$

All nicely done. Just one question out of curiosity(not a criticism) You're so close to the ceiling; why didn't you just take the faceframe up to just shy of the ceiling and use the cornice moulding to finish off right up to the ceiling?

Brad

Anyone want a brand new SIP 10" TS? Ordered it and I'm picking it up Saturday. Might as well give up now and shut down my shop.

Mate, that is some really fine work.

More pictures needed as it progresses or we'll set the women folk on you :)

Although it is my first piece of furniture I have been playing with wood for several years as part of renovating the cottage that I live in. I did make the stairs for example although as they used a lot of bought in components such as the newel posts, hand rail, spindles etc. I can't really call them all my own work.

why didn't you just take the faceframe up to just shy of the ceiling and use the cornice moulding to finish off right up to the ceiling?

2 reasons really the first being aesthetics. I have tried to avoid the 'flat wall of cupboards' look. Hence designing the breakfront and I felt that by not taking it the whole way to the ceiling it again gave it a feeling of structure. Secondly the ceiling is not actually level to the floor, there is about an inch difference in height from one side to the other. I thought that this would be difficult to conceal if the architrave met the ceiling.

Robin

Very nice work Robin. Did you build the main Carcas out of MDf Veneered with Ash? Or is it solid ash all round?

Well done
Lee.

Did you build the main Carcas out of MDf Veneered with Ash? Or is it solid ash all round?

hmmmm, no...

The carcass was built with 19mm ply. The original idea was to face the exposed bits with 4mm ash faced ply and leave the cupboard interiors just bare ply. This was to save costs. Half way through I decided to face the interior of the cupboards as well. What a PITA that was! After at least 2 large tins of evo stick and a lot of swearing later it looks ok but I certainly wont make that mistake again...

You live and learn.... :oops:

Robin - that's really nice. I hope your prospective tenants look after it. Having made all our previous bedroon furniture from flatpacks for speed, could you give some idea of what the costs were, if that's not too rude a question? Interested to see whether I should do something similar

Back