Windows xp problem?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
My pc went wonky this morning.

Paint shop pro would not save or export.

Switched off psp

opened up psp, no good.

Tried restart of computer. no good.

Tried again, no good, so pulled the plug out of the wall.

Everything now working but changes have taken place, progress bar on internet pages the colour has changed to blue from green also size of bar as enlarged, monitor is brighter and clearer.

Everything seems to be working, but what happened?

(Windows updates are switched off, )

Good question! There are getting on for 20 million lines of code involved in XP, so the possibilities are almost endless. Sounds like it could be a memory card seating problem though, now't to do with the software. Others will be along soon to offer alternatives, I'm sure. :)

Ray

It had a small fit ,you can recover to a previous good condition but its minor.
I think you should switch windows up date back on its mostly security and you use the net and of course you can go back if you need to very few have problems and there mostly hardware showing they need attention.

devonwoody":1pnc0nru said:
Everything now working but changes have taken place, progress bar on internet pages the colour has changed to blue from green also size of bar as enlarged, monitor is brighter and clearer.
Well at least whatever happened seems to have been positive :D

AFAIK progress bar is green on IE an Firefox - unless themes have been changed.

As the size of bar is enlarged and monitor appears brighter/clearer has your screen resolution changed? or are you wearing new glasses :D

Cheers :D
Tony

Thanks all.

Blooming hell, I have just come back from shopping and the progress bar as gone green again.

Winows update are a s.d, its always for microsoft benefit not the consumer IMO.

devonwoody":13zky6lf said:
Winows update are a s.d, its always for microsoft benefit not the consumer IMO.
I respectfully disagree.
Having spent far too long removing viruses that got on our company network because HQ stopped windows updatesI highly recommend you install them.

Windows Update. Best thing MS ever did IMHO. It's not perfect. But it's a leap in the right direction. Windows 7 improves on it somewhat.

John, a lot of the recent windows updates have been coordinated with the providers of anti-virus software, if you are not doing the updates then the anti virus you are using may not have the files in place it relies on.

My AV which updates several times a day during some spells often prompts me to do a manual windows update rather than wait for the programed update time in order for it to give full cover.
If your system is stalling as others have said it may be due to memory problems or disk problems, the comment about ensuring you have a good backup mention above is paramount in the latter case.

AFTER doing a BACKUP it might be worth running CHKDSK on your hard drive to check for problems or CHKDSK /F to attempt check and repair of space/file allocation tables if necessary.

Here's a link to "how To" if you don't know

Trouble is I havent done an update for around two years, do you think I can live long enough to now accept microsofts kind offer, will it leave my windows media player alone and let me play naughty stuff?

Thanks all, you are convincing me.

Back