windows and doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

selly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm not that experienced but i have a decent workshop on my farm and I want to make some windows and doors for it - need more light!

I've got the kit but I don't know where to start? How do I build a sliding door, or double opening door with two full panes of glass in them? i guess I could adapt a frame set from howdens but where do i start?

Any designs or advice for me? I have the kit but not the know how! Please don't say by them because its been bugging me for years that I don't know how to build a door or window?

What router bits too please?

Selly

I've just done a bedroom window (4 over 4) and a lounge (French doors, half-height either side, 4 over). It was a lot of work! Not intrinsically difficult though. I'm currently writing it up for Nick.

Here are a few tips though.
1 Decide on your window hardware before you put pencil to rod. Modern espags are great, but you need to plan for every groove rebate and clearance, to quite a degree of precision, before you start. Personally I would use the friction hinges again, they are great and easy to fit. I'd also use the espag locks for the doors, but I wouldn't use them for the windows. They need too much space and are a PITA to fit. Easy when the plastic extrusion is designed to take them, but wood is a different matter.

2 Research designs. There is an EXCELLENT paper on the TRADA.com website by a guy named Hislop. You need to register to access it, but registration is free.

3 If you want an easy way to make them, consider adding all your rebates and mouldings afterwards, just like you will add your glazing beads. I know it sounds like cheating, and for the traditionalist it is, but it means that you don't have to worry about long and short shoulders for your M&Ts. You just have to master two joints - the halving joint and the twin M&T. It's an easy way to do it, but that doesn't mean quick. You have to fit all the moulding, mitring them, gluing and pinning and then fill all the nail holes (which is what I'm supposed to be doing now instead of playing on here!)

That's my 2p.

Cheers
Steve

Latest posts

Back