William Wilson of the Wizard

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickWelford

So many tools, so little to show
Reaction score
When I was a lad I used to read about William Wilson, a super athlete who competed at the highest level in many sports - won the ashes for England, scored the winning FA cup final goal etc, I expect some of you might remember him.
Anyway, he lived in the railway arches and made a living making briquettes from coal dust, sawdust and, I think, cement. Now to the point, I have a bucket of coal dust and lento of sawdust so his story came to me, and I wondered about packing a mix into loo roll tubes but I need a binder of some kind. I guess I could use cement, but how about pva?

Anyone have experience in this area?

NickWelford":5ml0bg1t said:
Thanks Alex, I should have done that, but I got carried away on thoughts of the Wizard and Hotspur in the 60's.....

To be honest, I didn't expect to find anything, but I do like a web search 'challenge' :D

NickWelford":2dn221s2 said:
Thanks Alex, I should have done that, but I got carried away on thoughts of the Wizard and Hotspur in the 60's.....

Darn you lot, have had "Roy of the Rovers", "Alf Tupper", and "I Flew with Braddock" going through my head ever since the first post. (those were the days, eagerly awaiting the next Rover from my mate who could afford to buy it, 1950's)

And don't forget those "How it works" cutaway drawings - I clearly remember a Rover gas turbine-powered car, some of the body panels being clearly based on the conventional P4 saloon (Rover 90, 100, etc).

AES

(Nostalgia ain't wot it used to be).

:(

NickWelford":373fvakj said:
When I was a lad I used to read about William Wilson, a super athlete who competed at the highest level in many sports - won the ashes for England, scored the winning FA cup final goal etc, I expect some of you might remember him.

Ah yes! Wilson the barefoot athlete. Can't say I remember what he did when he wasn't winning the Ashes, and every Field and Track Olympic Gold going!
And wasn't it 'The Hotspur'? Or maybe it was 'The Wizard'. I used to send both of them my stories. Never got any published though! :lol: So long ago!

I did once make my own firelighters. I mixed ploystyrene granules with one batch, and set the chimbley on fire. :oops:
Mr Firefighter wasn't best pleased!

Back