will the prices go down again???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shim20

Established Member
Reaction score
will they??if so how long till they do a long time me thinks? as was thinking of getting a new LN tool but just seen how much axminster have put the prices up :shock: . classic hts are holding till sept 14th so is now the time?

I don't think the prices are likely to come down any time soon. :(

Best advice would be to buy it "cheap" now while you still can! :shock:

cheers i though so. now the only problem is what to get :lol:
budget of £150 on LN and LV fire away lol.
always like them low angle planes also the LN skew plane.

From what I've been told - L-N haven't increased their prices for years. Hence they've not been making much of a profit these last couple years - so all of a sudden we have a few years small price increases rolled into one.
Hope this makes sense,
Philly :D

shim20":11f47493 said:
cheers i though so. now the only problem is what to get :lol:
budget of £150 on LN and LV fire away lol.
always like them low angle planes also the LN skew plane.

So what are you after?

dont know why but all ways liked the LN skew block plane, but never really seen one and never used one. what do people think of them? also a medium LN shoulder plane might be handy as i have the small one but a slightly larger one could be handy sometimes.

I would be inclined to wait now I think before buying LN's - a collapse of the dollar is still a possibility. Also I think sales will be much lower at the higher prices and they may well be sold off much cheaper in due course. Cliftons should not be affected by the exchange rate being British made but of course they have all the energy costs etc to be passed on.

I've got a LN skew block plane and although it's beautifully manufactured I don't think it's particularly practical.

For planing a rebate with the grain I find a Record 778 is better because of the more the longer fence supported by two legs. Across the grain the LN may just have the edge, but there's really not that much in it and for all round rebating I'd go with the 778.

After detaching the removable side you can use the LN skew plane right up against a shoulder, but then the sole in front of the blade isn't very well supported and the tool.shaving thickness can waver, consequently for this application I usually find a large shoulder plane does a better job.

Hatherton_wood":zlqa2qu2 said:
I would be inclined to wait now I think before buying LN's - a collapse of the dollar is still a possibility.
Conversely the pound could fall a lot farther against the dollar (I can remember $1.10 to the pound), and the LN price increases so far are as much about them correcting their own profitability as compensating for a sinking pound. I wouldn't be surprised to see LN's UK prices go up by another 20%+.

I think I am going to take advantage of the current prices also. I'm definitely going for a No5 1/2 but I'm agonising over the other purchase...

I desperately need a tool to precisely adjust tenon cheeks. A Lie-Nielsen rebate block plane has been recommended to me, however i think I may get more use out of one of their shoulder planes. I have always used a chisel to pare the cheeks, but that becomes hard (but not impossible) and difficult to keep accurate when working on larger tenons. Then the question of size arises...

Anybody got any advice for a whippersnapper such as myself?

Is that a silly question? :)

Andy

spoke to alex at classic handtools today, he said get what you want now at these prices before they go up, plus there moving there shop :shock:

shim20":3olhic3z said:
spoke to alex at classic handtools today, he said get what you want now at these prices before they go up, plus there moving there shop :shock:
Yes to a bigger one, not very far from the current one. 8)

andyavast":20heow7k said:
I have always used a chisel to pare the cheeks, but that becomes hard (but not impossible) and difficult to keep accurate when working on larger tenons. Then the question of size arises...

Anybody got any advice for a whippersnapper such as myself?

Yeah. But you won't like it.

Just use a hand router. Anything from a homebrew OWT to the LN or LV will serve.

BugBear

Compared to the price rises we've seen, LN has put up the US price very little. My sis in law in US sent me some chisels a few years ago ($50 each) and they're now $55. At 1.7 $ to £ thats £32.35 and plus our vat about 38 quid. I presume Ax thinks the pound is giong to fall a lot more yet!

Back